General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cantoris
(learned) Sat 15-Sep-12 14:42:46
Print Post

Disconnect on phone ring

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm using Virgin.net ADSL delivered over a SMPF connection.

My Netgear DGN2200 router often loses sync and disconnects when the phone rings. The past couple of days I've had problems getting it to come back without dropping again almost immediately although it does eventually stabilise - esp if I switch the router off for a bit. It's also been dropping at other times the past few days - eg mid-post here!

The occasional disconnect on phone ring has been going on for ages now (but only just now become really problematic) and continues despite a change in router and multiple attemps at changing microfilters - including buying brand new expensive ones rather than using spares that have come with routers over the years.

Wiring plan:

Master Socket--------Filter------Phone
|
|
|
| Extension
|
|
|
Filter
| \
| \___ Router
|
Phone

Any ideas what be causing this? Is there any form of exchange fault that could cause this given that filters are all in the right place?

Thanks for any thoughts. I really don't want to have to phone Virgin.net's support team as I've had less-than good experiences with them in the past.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 14:50:19
Print Post

Re: Disconnect on phone ring

[re: cantoris] [link to this post]

It's probably an external line fault, but we need to know more detail. Such as who the line rental is paid to.

Do you have a number of phone sockets, or just the master? What sort of master do you have anyway, is it one where the bottom half of the faceplate comes off as in this pic, and is that the socket you use for broadband?

Edit - whoops, just looked at the diagram. Please can you somehow get the router to the master socket and connect the filter to the test socket on the wall at the back in that pic. See how it works then.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 15-Sep-12 14:51:52)

Standard User cantoris
(learned) Sat 15-Sep-12 15:22:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

It's a master socket where the bottom half comes off.
I've just put the phone directly into that and got some bursts of noise. I also heard some on a Quiet Line Test.
I've now logged a call to BT.

I'm just worried that it will behave when he tests and then they'll try and charge me £100.... any suggestions there?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 15:30:11
Print Post

By "that", you mean the test socket? Not the external socket of the master.

I hope you didn't mention broadband. You just want the noisy line fixed, as whatever is causing that noise could also be causing ADSL-frequency noise.

I still can't get used to not having a person to talk to when reporting a noisy line. That helped a lot, as you then had a BT person backing you up.

With the faceplate off the master, the extension should be completely dead. Is it?

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User cantoris
(learned) Sat 15-Sep-12 16:01:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes I was using the internal socket which disconnects the extension. I did say to them it was disconnecting the DSL but that on investigating I'd heard bouts of noise on a phone connected inside the master socket and on a quiet line test there.

Thanks for your replies.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Sat 15-Sep-12 16:07:35
Print Post

Once the line noise is sorted, if the problem continues it could be your broadband filter not doing its job of seperating broadband from voice.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 16:11:54
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

?
Filters only remove the broadband frequencies from the phone circuit. They do not remove anything from the broadband circuit. (Ring wire filters excepted).

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Sep-12 16:17:52
Print Post

I had the same type of problem with this particular model a year or so ago. I was able to 'fix' it by double filtering my phone line. I borrowed another router from my ISP and I was still getting a loss of synch. I then gave up on Netgear and bought a new router and a filtered faceplate. One or the other solved the problem.
Standard User flippery
(member) Sat 15-Sep-12 16:53:23
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Have you tried the Line fault check on BT website. My problem, similar to yours, was caused by corroded wire on BT pole.
Not saying this is your fault as there are a number of variables.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Sep-12 17:06:33
Print Post

I presume the DSL modem was not connected to the phone line when you heard these bouts of those?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to