General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 23-Sep-12 22:39:47
Print Post

Faceplate but using adsl on an extension

[link to this post]

I was planning on buying a pressac filtered faceplate since tidying up my wiring.

However, I need to plug my router into an extension in the hall to get full wifi coverage. I only loose .5db and negliable sync drop.

The master socket is on the left of the house and annoyingly just on the other side of a plasterboard wall which backs onto the cooker, oven and fridge which I'm sure affects wifi.

So anyway, is there any benefit from installing a filtered faceplate on the master socket and running adsl from an extension. I checked and you can wire the extension to be filtered on the pressac plate. Would it filter noise from the extension which is cat5 to improve stability/noise and possibly sync or is the only benefit no need for micro filters?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Sep-12 22:51:31
Print Post

Re: Faceplate but using adsl on an extension

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

If this extension that the ADSL modem is running on is the only extension in the property then no benefit.

Even if you have other extensions the majority of the benefit can be obtained by removing the ring wire on pin 3 at the sockets anyway

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:00:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok thank you

That saved me £12 smile

I do have another extension installed by sky, as its no longer needed I removed it which gave me 1db back

The house has sockets all over the place, I haven't tested them yet but I removed the daisy chain onward extension cabling at the socket where the adsl will be, whether this makes any difference, I think it gave me consistently .5db back.

All sockets have ring wire removed and insulated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:06:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by oldskool:
I checked and you can wire the extension to be filtered on the pressac plate.
You sure you have that right?

Yes the extension can be filtered. But that means ADSL will not be available at the extension. Only phone-type (fax, Sky box etc.) equipment.

How about you use the CAT5 to connect a WAP in the hall, (stick an ethernet socket in the hall), to the router near the master? Possibly up near the ceiling if you can get power to it from either above or below.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:24:27
Print Post

Will you only want to use the proposed extension socket in the hall for the router or would you like to have a telephone socket there as well?

If it is the former then you will only have to connect cat5 to the A&B terminals on the back of the pressac faceplate and use an adsl socket in the hall. This will carry the unfiltered adsl signal. Phones and existing phone extensions will be filtered by the pressac faceplate both at the front and from the terminals 2&5 on the back.

Or if a phone is required in the hall then you will need to use a filtered faceplate on the hall socket (or perhaps a dangle filter from a standard faceplate) for both phone and router. The A&B terminals on the pressac plate and cat5 will still be used for making the extension to the standard (not a master NTE5) socket in the hall. Alternatively you could use one pair of wires for the phone (filtered voice) and another pair of wires for the router (unfiltered adsl) from the cat5 cable and connect up to a dual phone and adsl socket from the pressac 2&5 terminals and A&B terminals respectively - this would probably give you the best setup of the two since you will only be using the pressac filter on the NTE5 for the hall phone, although that would only allow you one other voice extension from the pressac terminals 2&5.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:27:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's a good idea for the access point

For the plate I took the info from this review http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3ROHIMAVEMF56/ref=cm...

It mentions you can wire an extension for adsl too
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 00:08:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by oldskool:
That's a good idea for the access point

For the plate I took the info from this review http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3ROHIMAVEMF56/ref=cm...

It mentions you can wire an extension for adsl too
Yes, I kow you can wire an ADSL (plus phone) extension. But you specifically said you had checked you could connect the extension filtered. Was it perhaps a typo and you meant unfiltered, and like I often do you're reading what you meant to write instead of what you did?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to