General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TSPlowright
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 15:48:59
Print Post

Slow speeds and daily connection loss

[link to this post]

Hi, can anyone offer some help/advice please?

My connection is slow (1.5MB or less) and everyday I lose connection momentarily between 15:00 and 15:30.

My ISP is Sky and I live in a new (2011) house so have an external NTE. My router stats are:

Speed - 1985kbps / 606kbps
Attenuation - 57db / 36db
Noise - 7db / 10db

In speed tests I get between one and one and a half MB.

Sky refuse to help me as they say I must have an internal master socket, they just say that the problem must be the wiring in my house so have told me to install an internal master socket then call them back. I find this hard to believe though as this problem would affect all new homes, and there are thousands of them.

I have read lots about people installing filter face plates etc and this helping, is it likely that this could help me?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Sep-12 15:53:27
Print Post

Re: Slow speeds and daily connection loss

[re: TSPlowright] [link to this post]

The external NTE is a pain sometimes, as builders have wired things up to them in a star config.

The idea was that it should be wired to one socket on the inside of the house and the extensions run from there. How is yours wired up?

Your speeds are below expectation, but that may be because Sky always tend to under perform connection speed wise, favouring stability over raw speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:03:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hasn't the external NTE now been scrapped for any further installations Andrew? The OP being in the unfortunate position of having one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:06:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That is my understanding. Guessing the number of visits to fix wiring negated any advantages.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:08:10
Print Post

FTTC has to be installed at the master socket...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:14:03
Print Post

Hi MrSaffron

Thanks for the quick response, I don't know how my wiring is arranged. I have lots of sockets though! One in a cupboard in the hall (nearest the external NTE) then two in the lounge and two more in bedrooms.

How do I find out how they are wired up?

Thanks again

Tim
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:47:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by TSPlowright:
I have read lots about people installing filter face plates etc and this helping, is it likely that this could help me?

See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm - external NTE

You may be able to connect an internal standard socket with a filtered faceplate to IDC terminals labelled 2 & 5 on the external NTE5 using a suitable cable (or even the existing cable.) Extensions could then be taken from the back of the internal filtered faceplate and they would be filtered for voice. Either the front connector or A&B terminals on the filtered faceplate could be used for the unfiltered adsl.

It has been said that an internal NTE5 can be used with components, surge arrestor etc., removed and that will provide you with an internal test socket - but I haven't tried that myself.

Edited by 4M2 (Tue 25-Sep-12 16:52:26)

(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 17:37:35
Print Post

Re: Slow speeds and daily connection loss *DELETED*

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Post deleted by TSPlowright
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Sep-12 17:42:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Of no relevance as query is about ADSL

And the FTTC and master is only if you don't take the data extension kit and want to ensure the best possible performance

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Sep-12 17:45:08
Print Post

Only way is to carefully unscrew faceplates and take photos so we can see what is going on.

The general solution is to get the wiring back to the point where you have one socket that works in the home, and it has just two wires going to it.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_in... should if you have 85mm faceplates be a nice replacement, and then if you want other phone extensions they can run from the back of this socket, and would be filtered already.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to