General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rnorton
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 07:34:19
Print Post

BT master socket search

[link to this post]

All of the BT socket faceplates in my house have been replaced with very nice flat brushed stainless steel ones which look very nice. The trouble is it means I cannot identify which one is the master socket. Can anyone give me any pointers as to how I would recognise the master socket by removing these faceplates? I've looked everywhere for a white plastic "split face" box to no avail.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 27-Sep-12 09:16:11
Print Post

Re: BT master socket search

[re: rnorton] [link to this post]

No. 1 do not asume that the master socket is in any living space.

I found my master socket in the attic hidden under 8 inches of Rockwool insulation. It took me 10 months and a bit of luck to locate it.

If you do not have a split panel on the front of one of your phone sockets then the chances are you either do not have a modern style master socket or you have not found it yet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 09:20:20
Print Post

How new is the property? Does it have a grey box outside that looks to have a phone cable going to it?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Sep-12 09:21:20
Print Post

It could be there is no master depending on who fitted them. It may be that you have an external demarcation point so there is no need for an internal master socket but that's unlikley.

Anyway the difference is easy to spot if you take off each front plate as extensions have no additional components but a master has several the biggest and most obvious being a ring capacitor which will normally be a cylinder about the diameter of a pencil and maybe a couple of cm long. The standard place for a master socket is the first socket after the cable enters the premises.
Standard User rnorton
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:53:49
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thx for that- the new front plates were fitted during a renovation so I suppose its possible that the one on the master may have been replaced- but good idea to check the loft- I didn't think of that
Standard User rnorton
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:57:22
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

OK thx- I think I know what I'm looking for now. Will take a look at the weekend
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-12 18:10:28
Print Post

Always worth looking at how the line is actually fed to your house, overhead, underground ? Then just follow the cable on from there. Sounds like you have had an attack of the decorators, so may well not be a recognisable NTE in the entire property.

Print Thread

Jump to