General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 10:48:34
Print Post

Changing SNR manually

[link to this post]

My line been unstable since getting moved to LLU ADSL2+ so decided to manually change my SNR from 6db (interleaving on) to 9db (interleaving off). Noticed when i changed it, my sync speed stayed the same. Was expecting it to be lower due to the higher SNR. Could the fact i turned interleaving off be the reason?

My stats are this now:

Connection Speed 10174 kbps 1023 kbps
Line Attenuation 38.0 db 17.5 db
Noise Margin 9.00 db 12.0 db
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Sep-12 12:24:06
Print Post

Re: Changing SNR manually

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

You turned Interleaving OFF but can you be sure it is off? Unlike NM your limited stats don't show state of Interleaving. There should be fuller stats that do.

What router? How do you change Interleaving?

What were your stats before?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 12:29:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Its a Netgear DG834Gv5. I know Interleaving is off as my account area on the ISP website says its off (there is an option to change SNR and interleaving in there), also i ran routerstats software that says the same

Stats before were virtually identical to the ones i posted above, except the noise margin being 6db.

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 29-Sep-12 12:30:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 29-Sep-12 12:31:32
Print Post

Turning interleaving off increases sync and raising the target margin reduces sync. Perhaps the 2 have cancelled each other out?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 15:08:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yea was thinking that. Ping come down, SNR increased so in theory should be more stable and i got same sync. Win win hopefully
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 29-Sep-12 15:35:43
Print Post

Interleaving should increase stability.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 15:41:48
Print Post

Thats my next step. If 9db SNR and interleaving off doesnt work, will try turning it on
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 29-Sep-12 16:17:11
Print Post

I think you have a problem with noise, or a line fault as your sync is 2-3 megs off what would be an ideal sync for the attenuation. Something is making your line unstable and to compensate for that, the usual fix is to increase interleaving and increase the target SNR margin. The penalty of doing this would be to reduce the sync speed.

However, this doesn't fix the problem - it just masks it. To fix the problem you have to understand what it is and eliminate it. It could be something simple like your extension wiring, or it could be something hard like a line fault. The first step is to take "Full" router stats, then plug the router into the test socket and take another set of stats. Then compare them.

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 16:42:11
Print Post

I had a problem about 2 years ago with stability on my line. 6 months later and lots of tests, master sock etc I replaced all the cabling to my router with shielded cables and this worked fine for years, getting very reliable connection (thats with ADSL2+ but on ADSL1 profile)

Then when i got changed to LLU last week they took off the ADSL1 profile and now im on full ADSL2 which is where the problems started. Speed doesnt bother me i just want a stable line, hence i was reluctant to go to full ADSL2+. Even though its more unstable now i can still go many hours without a disconnect, so dont know if this would class as a line fault even if i reported it

Im just hoping its not the Talk Talk kit at the exchange thats causing it

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 29-Sep-12 16:44:49)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 29-Sep-12 16:56:44
Print Post

It could be your router. Someone else's problem here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/t/4161751-it-is...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to