General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 20:29:36
Print Post

Ongoing problems (router issue?)

[link to this post]

Thought i would start a new thread, as i think ive come across something so didnt want to confuse the other thread.

I changed my target SNR but still go disconnected about 30 mins ago. I noticed tho that even though the router resynced, it would not find my IP address or DNS settings, hence i couldnt get online. I have a screenshot to show what happened

http://imageshack.us/f/685/routerrf.png/

The sync is low probably as i rebooted loads of times. However as you can see even though it says connected and has sync there is no IP address, Gateway or DNS servers. I tried to put them in manually but still didnt work. If i click the "connection status" button it shows as disconnected though. Here is what the connection log for the last few minutes shows:

29 Sep 2012 20:21
29 Sep 2012 20:22
35 secs

29 Sep 2012 20:02
29 Sep 2012 20:02
9 secs

29 Sep 2012 19:59
29 Sep 2012 20:01
2 mins

For some reason its either not getting the IP address etc, or losing it after a few seconds. Interesting this happened last night around the same time, although i wasnt in

So my question is, could this be caused by any other issue other than my router?

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 29-Sep-12 20:32:30)

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 20:49:29
Print Post

Re: Ongoing problems (router issue?)

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Just happened again too, needed to turn off router to get it to find the settings. Seems hit and miss if it will work
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 29-Sep-12 20:51:19
Print Post

It could be line noise.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 29-Sep-12 21:28:57
Print Post

Switch off the router and unplug the psu from the power supply socket.

Don't switch it on again until late morning/early afternoon and take the line stats as soon as it powers and hopefully connects up.

My advice is don' t play about with it any more tonight.

Mac
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Sat 29-Sep-12 22:02:41
Print Post

Hello,

I think I've dealt with a similar problem to yours earlier in the year when someone got upgraded from adsl max to adsl2+. They had a stable connection up until the upgrade to adsl2+.

I went around to check the stats, and the downstream snr was fluctuating by about 1-2db where as it should be relatively stable. Turned out to be the line filter causing the problem, and adsl2+ using higher frequencies amplified the problem with the weak filter.

They had loads of different line filters in a cardboard box, so i tested all of them via the bt test socket making sure the snr was only varying by around 0.1-0.2db. Most of them were absolute rubbish and I chucked them in the dustbin.

The line was now stable and the snr came down on it's own.

Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 22:48:59
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

Thing is i have been on 21CN since Feb this year but with an ADSL1 profile as James (isp manager) put it

Then went to LLU Monday but only at the exchange, still use ADSL24's network (daisy) and line was ok ish, 1-2 disconnects a day. Last 2 nights tho i can barely keep sync for a minute or 2.

Is the router reporting no IP, DNS settings normal though when it cant connect?
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 22:55:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The problems im having are similar to ones i had earlier this year

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4083246-r...

Although back then i lost all connection, not getting it for a minute or 2.
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 23:25:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

WAN PPPoA 145 93 0 1 7 02:16:43

The PPPoA session is showing that, and i notice the ADSL light doesnt flash it just goes red. So wonder if its not losing sync but just wont stay connected for some reason?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 00:24:57
Print Post

It's synced with exchange but failed to authenticate with ISP (LCP/CHAP down). Reboot usually cues it unless ISP authentication server is really playing up.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User bobble_bob
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 07:26:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well from 7pm last night until 4am this morning it was on and off, sessions lasting a minute or 2. Then come 4am ive been online since and still working now. See what happens tonight

Edited by bobble_bob (Sun 30-Sep-12 07:26:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to