General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sam86
(newbie) Tue 02-Oct-12 12:07:11
Print Post

LittleBigOne - Multiple Questions / refuse to change IP etc

[link to this post]

So I've been with LittleBigOne(LBO) a while and I've just found out BT along with a few others now provide FTTC in my area. So same speeds if I move, to which I was planning on moving but it's £450 to buy out my contract with LBO atm.

So, I did just write a giant post but I'm going to shorten it:
Basically I was under a DDoS, UDP flood at times but mainly TCP/SYN flood. Now I know for a fact this happend. And I've logs for it happening at all my business servers(Not hosted by LBO) at the exact same time my home internet died. Along with receiving the short communication of "Bye Bye" each time it happened.
So the chances of me not being attacked at all 6 of those times are pretty damned unlikely.
However my ISP(LBO) refuse to issue me a new IP, although when signing up I was informed the IP would never be static, as this is rather important to me. However my IP has not changed since June 20th.
Now, when contacting them it took 3 days to get an answer if they could change my IP but they refused. Also insisting I was under no attack and they have full router logs(The router in my home, not in there network) that states I was under no attacks at all.

So I pretty much can prove there lying since this router model doesn't keep static logs, and it has been rebooted twice since the attack. I'm not a fan of being lied to, I understand the majority of customers that there phone help talk to will know nothing about what there talking about. But that doesn't make it fine to lie to your customers. Or leave them with a static IP when they are under network based attacks.

I mean I'd expect there to be some obligation to help a customer when he's being the victim of such an attack, and I refuse to see why they won't issue me with a new IP. Makes no sense, my IP is not supposed to be static for a reason.

My other rant is basically there useless phone system, being VOIP. Always breaks when the router crasher or a firmware update (which is multiple times a week sometimes). Combine with the fact they mention no where on there website that the phone system you're paying for is VOIP based. People constantly ask me to use my mobile due to the incredibly [censored] sound quality and background noise there VOIP systems use. It's gotten to the point I've not even plugged it in or used my house phone for 6 months.

Anyway if anyone could help/provide me with some advice for the IP issue before I fire off this angry email & request my MAC code it would be great. Not really a fan of paying £450 to leave the contract.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 02-Oct-12 12:31:56
Print Post

Re: LittleBigOne - Multiple Questions / refuse to change IP

[re: sam86] [link to this post]

Are you able to request a MAC from them as i'm sure that SYDR didn't/couldn't issue MACs. May have changed now though.
Standard User sam86
(newbie) Tue 02-Oct-12 12:35:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

They asked me over the phone to email and request a MAC code.
How else do I swap to BT/other FTTC providers without a MAC Code?

If they'd only stop lying and issue me with a new damn IP, or at least admit there is an issue I wouldn't be so annoyed.

I mean network based attacks are on the rise exponentially around the world, how any ISP cannot be prepared for this is beyond my comprehension. Why would you not have a system in place to null route an IP and deal with it is just stupid.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Oct-12 12:48:37
Print Post

If the hacker found out your IP now, then it will be just minutes to find out your new IP, so it will solve very little changing the IP address on the home connection.

Only way to mitigate is for the ISP to actually do work that blocks the DoS upstream i.e. when it is on their network before reaching your small connection.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:27:21
Print Post

Just cuz IP is Dynamic doesn't mean it changes frequently; just that it is not guaranteed to stay the same. O2 Dynamic IPs are similar. The IP is auto chosen from a pool by the ISP's DHCP when you connect. You may be able to get it to change by changing the MAC addy of your router.

OFCOM insists that ISP supplies at least 2 ways of requesting MACs; can't just insist on email.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User sam86
(newbie) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:29:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure that there not using a DHCP server to assign out of a pool as I was down for 13 days recently while moving home and still got the same IP after moving wink

I'm not insisting I get a new IP every time I reconnect, but to refuse to reissue an IP at request or to even acknowledge I was under a direct attack seems odd.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:31:35
Print Post

If phone system is only VOIP, who owns copper line to exchange and what does it do?

If not BT, then MACs are not applicable. You will need to ger a BT line installed before you can get BB from most suppliers.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User sam86
(newbie) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:32:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm well aware how these things work, also I never said it was a hacker. Just some stupid kid with access to a subscription based TCP/SYN flood service.

I know exactly how he got my IP, and I also know how to stop him getting it again.

My main gripe here is the fact my ISP won't even acknowledge I'm under any form of attacks. If you read the entire of the first post as I've explained there lying straight to my face about the matter.

Edited by sam86 (Tue 02-Oct-12 15:35:31)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:33:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by sam86:
still got the same IP after moving
With same router? With same MAC addy? That's why!

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:40:17
Print Post

From the last count of some posts on ISPr and other forums.

SYDR is SLU and won't be able to issue a MAC. You'd not be able to switch with one and would have to cease and get a new order booked with a new ISP - which does mean you'll be without service.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to