General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-12 17:53:01
Print Post

The "Need 4 Speed" is quenched

[link to this post]

Its now 10 years since I had my first ADSL connection, a fast 512Kdown and 256K up. That was cool but the need for speed was still there. I went through 1M, 2M, 8M, 20M and now with FTTC its 40M. I have decided not to go for the 80M down and my line can reach the dizzy heights of 97M down if needed.

And what was I paying 10 years ago, well £24.99 for 512K and what am I paying now, well £20 for 40M. Times have changed.

I have been chasing a faster and faster speed for 10 years and have now decided 40M is now fast enough for me. Well 20+M is fast enough for the whole family.

So so long you speed freaks, will now wait for FTTP @ 300M down for the same £20.

IanD
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Oct-12 18:32:05
Print Post

Re: The "Need 4 Speed" is quenched

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Glad to hear it smile

For me - my exchange got ADSL in 2003 and has stayed there!
No, ADSL2, ADSL2+, FTTC etc. frown

#DigitalDivide

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Oct-12 18:54:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by iand:
So so long you speed freaks, will now wait for FTTP @ 300M down for the same £20.

Enjoy the wait, costs more than that to the ISP and not going to go down.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 07:34:28
Print Post

I have been chasing a faster and faster speed for 10 years and have now decided 40M is now fast enough for me. Well 20+M is fast enough for the whole family.
Lol, I know what you mean. In 15 years I've gone from a 36k dial-up modem to 78/16 and for me as speeds have increased I've made less and less use of them. It seems like I spent all my time on dial-up waiting for downloads. These days most of my 'speed use' is actually speed testers smile

It just seems like there isn't anything worth downloading any longer. A bit of browsing, some email and that's about it for me. I can see in a few years time using my connection for IPTV but that's assuming that Sky look to migrate people away from satellites (if they ever do). Until then I almost never use catch-up TV so really nothing around to use up my bandwidth. Most months I'm averaging 7GB usage - and that includes running at least one speed tester every night, lol.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Thu 04-Oct-12 07:35:40)

Standard User smurf46
(member) Thu 04-Oct-12 09:39:30
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Same here. I've concluded that it's just the internet makes children of us all.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 14:06:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Lol, I know what you mean. In 15 years I've gone from a 36k dial-up modem to 78/16 and for me as speeds have increased I've made less and less use of them.

I started 10 years earlier, on a 1200/75 modem (there is no missing K, M or G. They're just bits!). The first 2Mbps in 2000 was a revelation - but more because of the always-on nature, rather than the raw speed.

Nowadays, I'm the same. 40 down would be enough, but we're on 80/20 sync, 75/16 actual - more for the extra upstream.

Now a whole Linux distribution arrives in 10 minutes. Yet I reminisce over the weekends I'd spend with ftp2mail servers, and re-constructing a 40-floppy distribution set!
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 16:20:50
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I started 10 years earlier, on a 1200/75 modem (there is no missing K, M or G. They're just bits!). The first 2Mbps in 2000 was a revelation - but more because of the always-on nature, rather than the raw speed.

Nowadays, I'm the same. 40 down would be enough, but we're on 80/20 sync, 75/16 actual - more for the extra upstream.

Now a whole Linux distribution arrives in 10 minutes. Yet I reminisce over the weekends I'd spend with ftp2mail servers, and re-constructing a 40-floppy distribution set!
I remember waiting an hour to download a CD for Delphi 2.

The last thing I downloaded was Win8 rc2 and that took 6 minutes. I only did that because our office connection (4/1) is rubbish and we needed it for work. Quiet amazing that it was quicker to drive 15 minutes to get home, download it to USB stick then 15 minute drive back to office.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 17:41:07
Print Post

in 20 years I have gone from a 1200baud model to a 36K modem, then to ADSL to FTTC. I keep thinking about the 1hr 20mins it took the 1200baud model to download a critical program update from america to fix a production problem we had. Now you just blink and its there...

I am now starting to use youtube, of all things, to act as a cheap learning / training aid, actually using the service for something other than speedtests/email/web/etc..

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to