General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 09:19:41
Print Post

Netgear N300 DGN2200

[link to this post]

I am thinking of switching to BT Broadband. Wi-fi is poor in some parts of the house.
Is it possible to use my Existing Netgear N300 to extend the wireless signal?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 12:42:30
Print Post

Re: Netgear N300 DGN2200

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

Yes. It probably needs connecting by ethernet to the BT Home Hub to do it. There are different views on the best setup method, as there are options.

Do you move around the house with mobile devices connected to it, needing seamless swapping? Like your mobile does between masts. Or are the wireless devices basically fixed location?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 12:51:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
Currently I have a Netgear FS605 5 port ethernet switch in the lounge cabled to the router. The switch is for the tele and DVD. I was wondering if I could connect the N300 to the switch which would be cabled to the BT router. The hope is that it would add strength to the wifi. I'm sure there are very complicated setting alterations to the router that I will have to do if it is possible. I have an IPAD, Blackberry Playbook and a Blackberry phone that all need wifi round the house.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:00:59
Print Post

I was wondering if I could connect the N300 to the switch which would be cabled to the BT router.
Yes.

The settings aren't complicated. The differences of opinion are mainly to do with using the same subnet or separate subnets for the two routers.

To use the same you turn off DHCP on the slave and give the slave a fixed IP address on the main's subnet, outside the range that can allocate. To use different you keep DHCP enabled but make sure the two are different subnets.

See what others have to say smile. The answer is still "Yes".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:04:43
Print Post

What would be outside the range that the router could allocate. Currently the list of connected devices goes up to 192.168.0.10
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:05:55
Print Post

Sorry, I'm not really sure what a subnet is.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:35:19
Print Post

If unsure then a safe bet would be to use 192.168.0.252 as thats well above where you should ever reach with DHCP.

Should really get around to a quick guide on doing this, as so many people are re-using old kit this way.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodroyd
(learned) Fri 05-Oct-12 14:03:53
Print Post

I'm sure a quick guide would be most welcome. I would be first in line.
I'm advised to switch off DHCP.when setting up. I would if I new what it was, where it is and how to do it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 21:21:26
Print Post

Brain is dead for getting what you need to do right, at the moment. /me looks at Andrew?

DHCP is the routine in the router that hands out the local LAN IP addresses to your kit that connects to it. Probably in a LAN tab or menu entry in the router GUI. (GUI - Graphical use interface - where you do all the setting up). Somewhere around there is also where you will set the fixed IP address for the slave router.

Subnet:-
192.168.0.nnn is a subnet
192.168.1.nnn is a different subnet
192.168.10.nnn a third one.

Any subnet must only have one DHCP server. Fairly obviously now you know what it it is - as otherwise one could hand out an address already being used by some kit given that address by the other DHCP. Chaos. The active one needs to be the one in the router that is connected to the phone line.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Oct-12 11:49:24
Print Post

It is sunny so off outside to do gardening in a little bit. Maybe later

Got one router review to write, and another one to start playing with to get a feel for how it behaves

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to