General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User daveynihilism
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 13:18:09
Print Post

Moved house. Panicking about potential slow BB Speeds

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I live in Dorchester and work from home using my ADSL to connect to work. I was in a rental that I got 18Mbps from and we have now purchased a house in Dorchester.

I did as much due diligence as I could before purchasing it, checking the address on postcode check and putting in phone numbers of other addresses on the same street. There is a business next door that it says should get 15Mbps without any problems.

After faffing around from BT in enabling the line, it has gone live today and we have our phone number and I've started the procedure to transfer my ADSL over to the new property.

If I check on zen.co.uk's site (my provider) they can't give me the speed of the line yet. Same from www.bt.com if I attempt their "check availability" checker. The dslchecker.bt.com site and the wholesale one, as well as sameknows now says my phone number will only be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL.

Without reasonable internet I can't work. My ADSL will take 5 days to transfer over (At the moment I'm walking over to our rental to work until the ADSL goes live). So, my questions are twofold

A) With this being a newly assigned (Not Transferred number) is it possible the speed stats are old. Could this be the reason why some of the linecheck sites don't know my number and other sites give this info. Is it possible for line info to be out of date (The line only went live at 1AM last night).

B) What are my options if not. All the phonelines come off the same pole around the back of the property. Interestingly my number is a 013057 number and the rest are all 013052 numbers. 1Mbps may be hopefully enough to telecommute, but not for iplayer etc. If I cant' work, I don't know what I'm going to do...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-12 13:27:35
Print Post

Re: Moved house. Panicking about potential slow BB Speeds

[re: daveynihilism] [link to this post]

Stop panicking...

It takes a couple of days from when a line has gone live to the checkers actually updating with the estimate for the telephone number.

What has happened is that either
a) Some checkers default to a 1 Meg estimate when no offer information for line
b) The phone number was located in a position where it only got 1Meg before now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 13:36:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Stop panicking...

It takes a couple of days from when a line has gone live to the checkers actually updating with the estimate for the telephone number.

What has happened is that either
a) Some checkers default to a 1 Meg estimate when no offer information for line
b) The phone number was located in a position where it only got 1Meg before now.

<phew> smile I thought that might be the case. Interestingly enough, if I try to "order" BT ADSL on the site, it comes up saying that I can't receive ANY ADSL OR that the exchange is being upgraded. I'll give it a couple of days and try again. Thanks!

The previous occupants had talktalk (saw the router), so "some" service is obviously available.

Ta,

-Dave.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 15-Oct-12 13:48:42
Print Post

It amazes me to see how people move into a new property, possibly spending a lot of money for the new house, but without having checked out the broadband availability at the new location before the move.

Surely by now everyone should be aware that there is NO universal broadband availability in the UK, so if broadband is important for e.g. a home business, don't buy a home in the remote country side or other broadband non-spot areas!
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 13:57:44
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
It amazes me to see how people move into a new property, possibly spending a lot of money for the new house, but without having checked out the broadband availability at the new location before the move.

Surely by now everyone should be aware that there is NO universal broadband availability in the UK, so if broadband is important for e.g. a home business, don't buy a home in the remote country side or other broadband non-spot areas!

Dorchester is hardly a non-spot. I checked as well as I could before I moved. The owners were non-techy but said the BB was fine. Like I said, I saw the router so there obviously *is* service.

Without a line no, there's very little else I could have done to check. Postcode checks were fine. Nice and fast.
Like I said, there's a business right next door, their number in a DSL check said 15Mbps.
There's two speedtests on-line for the street that show 8-15Mbps service.
Another postcode for a plumbers no on same street a few doors up is fine. These are all from the same pole.

I did everything reasonable that was within my power to do before we signed on the dotted line.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 14:04:31
Print Post

As MrSaffron says, this is normal for a couple of days. Things will be fine.

Does the new phone number give the same exchange in this checker as the ones with the different code?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Mon 15-Oct-12 14:05:19
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The OP says he did the due diligence... and got reasonable answers. At least using neighbours, postcode etc.

The best route would have been to ask the original owners what they got - or even better, to have asked to see the line stats on their router!

When we moved, I used the CSV sheets from Openreach's FTTx planners, and gleaned every postcode in the target area. I then wrote a script that would query the DSL checker for every postcode (slowly though wink ). Using this data in BatchGeo, I then had maps of exactly where had good coverage, and where didn't, for both ADSL and FTTC.

My wife thought I was a little nuts, but today we get 80/20.
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 14:25:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As MrSaffron says, this is normal for a couple of days. Things will be fine.

Does the new phone number give the same exchange in this checker as the ones with the different code?

Yep, it's same exchange. And 013057 says it's allocated to Dorchester. Just always seen 013052 numbers from here, never seen a 013057 before.

Distance is 500Mtrs-ish, same as my old property but the other side of the exchange.

Edited by daveynihilism (Mon 15-Oct-12 14:38:13)

(newbie) Tue 16-Oct-12 08:35:30
Print Post

Hey,

As an update to this. My number on all test services now states I should get 13Mbps.
That'll do pig... That'll do laugh

Many thanks for the helpful replies and assistance yesterday with this whilst I was freaking out. Much appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 16-Oct-12 09:04:40
Print Post

That's good smile. Let us know how you get on.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to