General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Oct-12 19:18:47
Print Post

Static IP

[link to this post]

With an up to 8Meg connection are there any disadvantages in having a static IP address rather than the changing dynamic type.

Jack
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Oct-12 22:00:20
Print Post

Re: Static IP

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I think there is a security issue although if you have both a hardware and software firewall and antivirus, anti-spyware, etc you should be okay ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-12 22:04:32
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

To be honest if you don't have all those security features it only takes a few minutes to get problems if on a dynamic IP address, so a static is not a disadvantage in that respect.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Oct-12 22:12:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
To be honest if you don't have all those security features it only takes a few minutes to get problems if on a dynamic IP address, so a static is not a disadvantage in that respect.

Ok I stand corrected smile
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 10:16:00
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have had static IPs whenever I can.

The reasons normally for dynamic are:

spammers (either a static IP gets put on a spam list by accident and can be difficult to remove or a spammer themselves wants to be able to switch ips regularly).
downloaders of illegal material who want to keep switching IP
people who use services that may block IPs for over usage and want to switch iPs to release any blocks

I don't believe it is security and personally much prefer fixed. In the new world of IPV6 (if it ever happens) it is most likely everyone would have fixed as dynamic is essentially a workaround for limited address space.
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 15:18:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Oh I do hope you are right Ian.

I don't know why, probably all the reasons you stated, but I MUCH prefer a Static IP, but unfortunately, they are not available yet on TT FTTC setups. Which is a real pain.
I knew that my old IP that I have had for several years had no black marks against it, whereas if I check any of the "new" dynamic IP addresses that are now passed my way by TT they have at least 3 different black marks !!!

Regards,
Trevor

2 x TalkTalk 38mb FTTC lines, current speeds a rock solid 34mbps on each one.(hiding behind an assortment of DGND3700v2 Dual Band, DG834PN & DGN2000 routers) on: a Win7 32 Ult (RTM) Desktop, Win8 x64 Pro (RTM) ) Desktop & Win 8 x64 Pro (RTM) Laptop.
  Print Thread

Jump to