General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 18-Oct-12 21:40:32
Print Post

Only get 12mb on FTTC. Question re future

[link to this post]

Hi,
[censored] thread title I know!

Anywho. Im in a new build thats just on the outskirts of Lisburn and close to Belfast. Now on the BT speedchecker I can get 12mb which BT call Faster Broadband. I know this is the same technology behind Infinity just marketed differently so it doesnt look bad on proper Infinity.

A friend who lives just say 2/3 miles away can get 40mb on Infinity. He is connected to a Belfast exchange whilst I am the Lisburn exchange.

Is it possible that my 12mb will ever impove? Will BT ever install a small cabinet in the surrounding area so that the lenth of copper wire to my property will decrease?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Oct-12 21:43:22
Print Post

Re: Only get 12mb on FTTC. Question re future

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Very unlikely that they will install another cabinet unless someone pays them to do it.

In short you are stuck with this 12 Meg via FTTC for the foreseeable future, unless in 2013 you decide to pay the £1500 (amount will vary) to get fibre on demand which is a bit of fibre all the way to your property.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 18-Oct-12 21:49:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers for the quick reply.

Expected that answer. Thats a pity!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Thu 18-Oct-12 22:41:37
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Im in a similar situation as you. I am far from the cab which is 1.3 miles but get around 19Mb via plusnet. Im through the Ormeau exchange. I am holding out for the on demand fibre but I expect it to be out of my price range as from the cab, the line comes over ground along a few poles and then back underground so I expect to be quoted silly money to get it.

What I am not sure about is if I were to order it does that mean anyone who whose line is connected to the same pole as me will pay less as there is already a fibre line there or is it a single fibre line back to the cabinet per customer?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Oct-12 23:23:56
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

As it has been explained to me, you would not pay the full cost to get the service to you, as in Openreach will take a gamble on others in the area signing up over time.

It is a very much wait and see, and if providers have special offers when trials expand to rush to get on them, as trials often offer lower setup fees.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to