General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User leeandchantal
(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 15:54:50
Print Post

BT Infinity Question

[link to this post]

I am on the Hailsham Exchange which is SDHLSHM , my postcode is BN272BZ, the cabinet number is 32, it is not even a stones throw away from me. My exchange is showing it has been enabled for BT Infinity, when i use http://fttc-check.alc.im/ to check it says the exchange is now taking orders, but in the box entitled "Status" it says " Not part of a phase ", does this mean my box will never be activated? We do not have a new green box next to it, but the whole cabinet, old one was replaced with a new green cabinet and number 32 in white stickers on it. The number is the same as the website checker was showing. I know you can't tell me for definite it will or won't be, i was just hoping someone would be able to tell me what " Not part of a phase " meant.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:06:14
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Question

[re: leeandchantal] [link to this post]

Never say never. The cab isn't part of the current roll-out plan. It sounds like the existing PCP was re-shelled.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:20:35
Print Post

That "Not part of a phase" is as of December 2011. Things have moved on a lot since then.

What does this checker say about your phone number? If it's an LLU phone then use the address, not the post code by itself.

The fibre cabinet is usually within 50 metres of the PCP, but can be up to 100 metres.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:24:35
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

This is what it says, when i use official infinity checker, my landline is with sky llu

Edited by leeandchantal (Fri 19-Oct-12 16:26:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:30:35
Print Post

Still try the checker I gave you. The Infinity checker you are using ol;y gives live ones, not coming.

Also. Infinity from BT is only one product of the hundred or so fibre ones available once your cabinet is enabled. The same as you can get ADSLx from loads of ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:37:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Still try the checker I gave you. The Infinity checker you are using ol;y gives live ones, not coming.

Also. Infinity from BT is only one product of the hundred or so fibre ones available once your cabinet is enabled. The same as you can get ADSLx from loads of ISPs.

My bad i never saw the link properly, using the one you suggested i get the following :

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 14Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 8Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 14Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:41:30
Print Post

frown then.

Looks like it still isn't scheduled. Keep checking that one though, it usually gives a message "currently supports ...", with speed estimates, for quite a long time before it goes live. Often even before it is installed.

Good luck.

(newbie) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:44:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OH frown that isn't good, i guess i need to get on to sky and resort my speeds, as they've dropped from 16Mbps to 10Mbps.
Thanks to all that have helped smile
(learned) Sat 20-Oct-12 09:23:54
Print Post

I emailed my local councillor and this is what they had to say :

Dear Lee

Thank you for letting me know that this service is not currently available to you in Butts Field. BT infinity is a commercial product and BT are managing the rollout.
I have been given to understand that roads in Hailsham are being progressively bought on stream and not all locations are yet live, that is certainly confirmed by the number of engineers that I see working on installing the new green boxes around the town.

Prompted by your email I have randomly tested current availability for postcodes across the town and have found a mixed picture; some are already on, some are due in November and others have no availability yet. There is no regular pattern; Bellbanks is already on, my road will be available in the next few weeks but there is no service anywhere on Harmers Hay, perhaps the BT rollout plan is based on their distribution system rather than the roads network we are familiar with.

The BT advice says "Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband". If you have not already done so I would suggest that you email BT to ask when your road will be enabled and if they know of any technical reason why your line may not be suitable.

The County Council is investing in expanding the super-fast broadband infrastructure across the county except where providers advise us that they are making a commercial investment which I understand includes the urban areas of Hailsham. I will try to investigate further but I suspect that BT will do this roll out at their own pace.

Cllr Bill Bentley

I'm so glad he is getting his infinity in a few weeks LOL
  Print Thread

Jump to