General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scopio
(member) Sat 20-Oct-12 22:30:56
Print Post

Internet keeps disconnecting regularly

[link to this post]

Iím with O2 All Rounder connected with Box V thru ADSL Nation XF-le filter to Master Socket, no extensions.
For the past few weeks I have had to reset the router several times during the day. The power light remains lit, the internet light goes out and the Ethernet and broadband light keep flashing continuously. Once I reset the router again all seems normal again until it all starts going wrong again and the internet disconnects again! This happens more regularly when I watch a video or a live TV programme on the internet and it happens several times a week!
Is this a sign that the Box V is on its way out? Or is there another explanation for this to happen?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Oct-12 22:35:08
Print Post

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting regularly

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

Is it getting hot? Feel the centre of the top.

I haven't heard of this happening with the Box V, but it was common with earlier ones. As it seems to be when you are using it heavily, this could be the cause.

See if propping one side up by about 1"/2.5cm sorts it out, by causing a cross-flow of air inside.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Oct-12 22:36:21
Print Post

And make sure it isn't on something like a rug that it can sink into.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scopio
(member) Sat 20-Oct-12 23:02:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is it getting hot? Feel the centre of the top.

I haven't heard of this happening with the Box V, but it was common with earlier ones. As it seems to be when you are using it heavily, this could be the cause.

See if propping one side up by about 1"/2.5cm sorts it out, by causing a cross-flow of air inside.

It does seem to be very warm and yes I do have it on a piece of funiture with a plastic block at the front to lift it about 1 1/2" so air is circulating.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Oct-12 23:12:15
Print Post

Sounds like you have that already dealt with then. Only - where are the outlet vents? IIRC they are usually at the sides, (in the Box 3 I think they were in a groove all round but it was only perforated at the sides), so lifting the front could be the wrong place.

Standard User scopio
(member) Sat 20-Oct-12 23:17:15
Print Post

Box V has perforations at the top, bottom and a few on both sides. They are all clear.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 20-Oct-12 23:23:46
Print Post

OK. If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Standard User scopio
(member) Sat 20-Oct-12 23:56:09
Print Post

OK thanks, its just very annoying and just wondered whether to ask O2 CS to replace the Box V, but if this is a common problem with Box V there wouldn't be any point and just have to live with it!

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 21-Oct-12 00:45:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by scopio:
It does seem to be very warm and yes I do have it on a piece of funiture with a plastic block at the front to lift it about 1 1/2" so air is circulating.
Have you got a desk fan you could point at it to force-cool it?

Not a permanent cure obviously, but if the fault goes away whilst the fan is running you know what's causing it!

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scopio
(member) Sun 21-Oct-12 09:33:53
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I shall buy a laptop cooling pad, and see if that helps. Hopefully it won't affect the Box V with any interference or anything else like that.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to