General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mbdcs
(newbie) Wed 24-Oct-12 22:19:33
Print Post

Migrating from Phone+ADSL bundle

[link to this post]

I currently have a residential landline and ADSL bundle from plusnet (not on LLU here). I would like to migrate, ideally to talk talk business (which is LLU) for ADSL and source the landline rental elsewhere.

What is the best way to do this? I need to avoid/minimise downtime.

Plusnet don't seem to offer a phone only tariff, so I can't migrate the broadband away first and then swap the phone. Presumably I can swap the landline rental elsewhere, drop onto plusnet ADSL only temporarily, and then migrate the broadband once the phone has settled down?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Oct-12 22:53:11
Print Post

Re: Migrating from Phone+ADSL bundle

[re: mbdcs] [link to this post]

On the presumption the TalkTalk Business LLU is a shared SMPF (i.e. just unbundled on the broadband side) then

1. Move the WLR (Line Rental) to new line rental provider you want (check there are no contract downsides) and this move is initiated by getting your chosen new provider to start the move. Plusnet should write to you to confirm you want to move or not (called NoT Notification of Transfer)
2. Once this is complete and all done and dusted
3. Obtain a MAC from Plusnet to move to the SMPF LLU service with TalkTalk business

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 24-Oct-12 23:41:27
Print Post

I think you will find that although Plusnet Phone cannot be obtained without being in a bundle, it can be retained if you migrate the broadband away.

I suggest you ring and ask.

Plusnet don't have any LLU, so your "(not on LLU here)" is a little strange?

I gather you've already checked the TT Business site, as I have just done, so you should just be able to get a MAC from PN and go ahead. Make dead sure they don't take your line as well though!

Are you aware of the 100GB FUP, with the reserved right to charge a reasonable amount extra if you go over that? Also, the £15 is plus Vat, so £18pm really. (Unless you are Vat registered of course).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbdcs
(newbie) Thu 25-Oct-12 01:12:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Plusnet have low cost areas and high cost areas. I just assumed that the low cost areas were where they were able to use an LLU connection, but it seems to be a bit more convoluted than that. We recently got TT as our first LLU provider, yet our exchange is still listed as BT only on the plusnet checker, hence 'high cost'.

Yes, I am VAT registered and in the process of becoming a TT business reseller (already an Entanet reseller), so the price is a bit less than £15 per month.

100 Gb fair use sounds good to me - I'm currently on a 2 Gb tariff!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Oct-12 08:53:11
Print Post

As I said, certainly in the past and I believe still, you can keep your Plusnet phone rental.

You are right in thinking the PN low cost areas are (basically but it isn't so simple) where there is LLU, but they can charge less because they are charged less by BT Openreach/Wholesale in such areas. As are all ISPs, just the others don't pass it on.

The LLU count in the exchange was originally ther main basis for OfCom determining an exchange's Market Classification. They did this in the mid-2000s and finally in December 2010. They haven't updated the list since, so it doesn't matter how many LLU suppliers move into an exchange, it stays in whichever market classification it was put in then. Madness.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to