General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 29-Oct-12 12:57:14
Print Post

Need a new ISP - your help is most appreciated

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I'm so happy to have found your forum even though I do not understand most of your tech-talk.

I have been with TalkTalk for around 6 years! - think I'm a very patient customer but this is it now. My connection is coming and going and their customer service in India is just ridiculous. So I want to change now but can I please ask you which company should be able to provide me with the most stable connection?

I am a very light user: I browse a lot and am on the net most of the day but don't download, don't upload, just want a very stable connection. Don't use it for games, but use it a lot for Skype - also deliver language lessons on skype so if I lose connection I lose customers also. (people are very nice if it happens once but obviously if it happens on a reg. basis they start thinking about finding someone else).

I have tried to research this (not easy with my zero technical knowledge) and it seems all the big ones have poor reviews, even Virgin, BT, Utility Warehouse - these are the ones I have considered so far. Perhaps I should go with a smaller one like aaisp.net? I would also like someone who has their call centre in the UK.

Thank you sooo much if you can help me: Bunny30
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Oct-12 13:05:37
Print Post

Re: Need a new ISP - your help is most appreciated

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Stability all depends on the reason why it is unstable.

So the first step is to figure out if the problem is perhaps

1. Wireless interference local to your home causing problems
2. Problems with the ADSL being unstable
3. Network problems with TalkTalk

The first two stay pretty much the same when you change providers, unless you move to the Virgin Media cable service.

To check (1) try using an Ethernet cable to the TalkTalk router and see if that improves things
To check (2) initially get the router stats, i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin data from the router when using the router at its normal location, and then again when using the test socket at the master socket. Then post both sets of figures and people will advise from there.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 29-Oct-12 13:16:16
Print Post

To add to MrSaffron's post:-

The test socket of the master is the one on the wall at the back in this pic.

For help finding your router stats, if you need help, try here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 29-Oct-12 13:21:09
Print Post

What options are on your exchange
With TalkTalk are you on BTWholesale or LLU.

Edited by flippery (Mon 29-Oct-12 13:24:28)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 29-Oct-12 14:01:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Stability all depends on the reason why it is unstable.

So the first step is to figure out if the problem is perhaps

1. Wireless interference local to your home causing problems
2. Problems with the ADSL being unstable
3. Network problems with TalkTalk

The first two stay pretty much the same when you change providers, unless you move to the Virgin Media cable service.

To check (1) try using an Ethernet cable to the TalkTalk router and see if that improves things
To check (2) initially get the router stats, i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin data from the router when using the router at its normal location, and then again when using the test socket at the master socket. Then post both sets of figures and people will advise from there.

Thank you so much for your help so far. Most of the things you say sound completely Chinese to me, even with the further help you gave. I think when you say Ethernet cable that's the yellow cable we use when not on wireless. That does not help. Basically I have been trying being on cable and also Wifi but neither work. Talktalk customer service could see the problem when I phoned them and said that my connection dropped more than a 100 times during the past week.

I have also worked out that whenever all four lights are on on my modem (Huawei, but not the one on the pic Roberto gave me the link to) then I do have connection. However most of the time during the past week the lights are flashing like crazy with the Internet light missing most of the time. So do you think we have a problem with the modem?

With TalkTalk's 'help' my boyfriend has changed the microfilter and took apart the socket on the wall on Friday but that did not solve the problem. Actually with the socket I need to wait for him to come home and try doing this thing you recommend in 2.

You also ask whether we are on BTWholesale or LLU. I'm under the impression we use a BT Line whilst with TalkTalk. I should have also said there is no problem with the phone line whatsoever it's just the broadband.

Thanks a mill for your help! Bunny30
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Oct-12 14:23:37
Print Post

The router stats will help us a lot, as otherwise it is all guess work, and you cannot always believe what support people say.

The internet light flashes to indicate activity usually so in itself not a problem. The back of the router should say what model it is, and that will help you with the guide to finding out the router stats.

Do you pay the voice line rental to TalkTalk? If yes, then 98% sure you are on their LLU service.

It is a lot to do I know, but if you change provider and things do not improve because the problem is the sockets/telephone line then that would be pretty annoying. Also you may be paying more, TalkTalk LLU is generally one of the cheaper services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 29-Oct-12 17:02:47
Print Post

If you have a standard phone, non digital. Dial 17070 then option 2 and see if there is any noticeable noise on line

http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1...

This is probably router you have, as is one issued by TT
Open browser and type in 192.168.1.1 ( as you would for internet )
at user name and password should be admin in both cases unless you have changed.
click on Basic tab on left.
details required are under ADSL Description

Edited by flippery (Mon 29-Oct-12 17:28:01)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 29-Oct-12 21:03:47
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your replies. I feel you have helped me a lot and hopefully with your help this will be sorted soon.

So I was trying to get the stats and flippery's post was really useful: it turns out we have a Huawei Echolife HG 520b modem. I was trying to go through the steps you suggested to get the stats but for some reason on that ZyXEL screen I only have space for a password, not for a username and when I type in password 'admin' I don't get through to anywhere, just the same screen again. On another occasion however (I don't know how I did it, though) I somehow managed and in the stats saw zeros all the way down. But then by mistake I navigated away from that page without having saved it and now I can't go back.

I have also phoned TalkTalk customer service again and got through a more knowledgeable guy. He told me that he could see at his end that our router has died completely (he thinks it's the circuit board) and after about an hour we managed to agree that they would send us a new router within a few days.

They were trying to talk us into a better one: an N-router which he said is a top-of-the range router. But they wanted us to sign another 18-month which we are not willing to with such a [censored] customer service. In the end we agreed that they would send the same as we currently have (a G-routher I think?) with no contract-renewal.

What do you think of all this? Hopefully it sorts out the problem...

Cheers,

Bunny30
Standard User flippery
(member) Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:35
Print Post

Sounds like that could be your problem, Hopefully TalkTalk will setup the router so that all you have to do is plug it in.
Whilst aaisp have a good reputation they are not cheap. Providers I would suggest are Zen, Plusnet and Eclipse, all have UK support and a good reputation. They can all be started on a one month notice contract as well.
I had a problem with TalkTalk on a BT line and moved to Eclipse no problem since. I never had disconnections with TalkTalk but often was so slow that it was unusable.
As far as an N router is concerned, would only be an advantage, imo, on a fast ADSL2+ connection
Good luck.
Any problems re post
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 30-Oct-12 11:49:35
Print Post

I have been with BE there, for 3 years after suffering orange for far too many years check out their rating on the ISP data list they are part of the O2 group if you already have a contract with O2 say a mobile if you have been with them over 2 years its half price for 12 months they have raised there game from what i have read on the internet! Paulio
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to