General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Nov-12 02:23:04
Print Post

Very slow upstream

[link to this post]

BT business broadband, dedicated line - the router is the only device attached

I have tried 2 different routers both with the same result - slow upstream sync

Type Fastpath

Downstream is 6652, attenuation 35db, output power 123, Noise Margin 10

Upstream is 183 attenuation 44db, output power 183, Noise Margin 5

Exchange: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWBRIX

Any ideas?

TIA
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Nov-12 02:39:25
Print Post

Re: Very slow upstream

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Can you tell which ADSL Mode you are on, G.DMT, ADSL2, ADSL2+?

V. slow downstream too, if ADSL2+. Should get 11-12 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Nov-12 08:25:33
Print Post

Those figures are all over the place. Please could we have a screen shot of the actual data, as with some routers it is easy to misread what they say. (You have to upload it somewhere and give us a link).

What does the Quiet line test (dial 17070 option 2) give? Is it silent or do you get crackles or hisses? Preferably use a corded phone, not a cordless one.

Which socket are you using, and are you using a plug-in phone extension to reach the router. What are the stats like with the router >> short ADSL cable >> filter >> test socket? (The one on the wall at the back in this pic).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 02-Nov-12 10:27:37
Print Post

As you are a BT Business customer you may have a 2 wire 2700. If you do, then you can access the Bit Loading graphs which will show which Bins are used and to what density. It will then show which are not being used which might suggest low frequency noise on the line.

Can you access the 2700 and grab a screen shot?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 02-Nov-12 10:33:39
Print Post

Second thought on it.

When you say ONLY device attached, does that mean no phones and no filter/splitter.

I have seen something similar - about 10 years back where the a phone was plugged in to the filter and all was fine, but unplug the phone and upstream almost disappeared. If a filter is faulty and offers a low impedance path to the ADSL frequencies then it will look like significantly additional attenuation adding an extra 10, 20, 30 dB to the loss.

So, if you have a filter can you remove that from the connection and plug straight into the test socket behind the master.

M H C

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Nov-12 11:14:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks a lot for all the replies

I am doing this this to help out a friend and will be going to the site again next Monday

Here is a screenshot - I don't know what happened to the 2701!

Belkin N+
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 02-Nov-12 11:37:05
Print Post

The problem is almost certainly with the attenuation level ... with a downstream of 34dB, I would expect the upstream to be somewhere around 15 to 20 dB. Whether that is a faulty filter, wiring or the main BT pair it is difficult to say, But if it was the BT pair or wiring, I would expect to see downstream affected as well. It could be a faulty filter or linecard at the exchange too.

Just another comment; Belkin are wrong with the power levels: those figures on the screen shot are cB - centiBels and to convert to dB just divide by 10 which would give 12.3 and 18.3 - it does not matter at those levels but if the power was down at say 1.2 dBm and the Belkin reported that as 12 then there would be total confusion as 12 is a realistic number.

123dBm is 2 GW yes Giga Watts !

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Nov-12 12:16:06
Print Post

Thanks. You got the figures right, but as MHC says, the attenuations are very strange indeed. That's why I wanted confirmation.

The downstream sync is low as well, and I doubt if that is fully accounted for by the 10dB (high) noise margin. You should be on a solid 8Mbps, (or 7616kbps), with paradoxically an even higher noise margin. Explanations of different aspects of noise margin here and here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 02-Nov-12 14:12:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yesterday I saw a new "record" of noise swing! It was an office above a factory and the night processes and equipment was different to day time. The 2700 would resync in the early hours at 3dB but during the day that would increase to 12dB and on one day 14dB.

Solving the OPs upstream will be the start then tweaking to improve downstream and if he can find the 2700 it would be very useful as it hold historic sync data - speeds, atten, SNR

M H C

Edited by MHC (Fri 02-Nov-12 14:14:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Nov-12 15:27:06
Print Post

Re: Very slow upstream *DELETED*

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to