General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User qjh1
(newbie) Sat 03-Nov-12 15:37:17
Print Post

Virgin media slower after upgrade

[link to this post]

Has anyone else found Virgin media to be slower after their "upgrade"? They have upped my 10Mb speed to 20Mb but everything now seems slower! Even loading simple web pages often seems to take much longer than it ever did. The most noticeable difference however is the occasional updates to my satnav maps. These are typically around 3 to 4Gb downloads and I know they will often fall foul of Virgin's speed limiting for large downloads but they used to take about 2 hours maximum to download. The last two took around 6 hours with the typical download speed being well under 1Mb/s. As they seem to have now introduced a throttling for "large downloads" and I suspect this will have a major impact on things like catch up TV!
Standard User flilot
(newbie) Sat 03-Nov-12 16:36:25
Print Post

Re: Virgin media slower after upgrade

[re: qjh1] [link to this post]

No issues here after the upgrade, though that's not to say you're not having issues, you clearly are.

First suggestion is to restart your modem/router to make sure its got the correct config file for your connection (it will download it from the virgin network if it needs to). Also, if you're using wireless, try connecting using an ethernet cable and see if things improve.

Failing all that, you may be subject to 'over-utilisation' in your area, and I'd suggest you sign up over at the Virgin community forums (http://community.virginmedia.com/), where Virgin staff can assist you directly.

Virgin Media 30Mb Cable
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Nov-12 10:38:02
Print Post

After the upgrade you will be on the DOCSIS3 network rather than DOCSIS1. It may be that you are now suffering more congestion than before. As you say 20Mbps you didn't get a Superhub which would have given you 30. It's a pretty poor device but it suppots bonded downstream channels and your modem probably doesn't so you are running on only one channel out of 4 to 8 channels. If you complain they may well send one to you free which might sort it out (or might not). If you set it to modem mode you can continue to use your current router.

Set yourself up with a TBB ping monitor - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html
For it to work you'll need to make sure that your router is set to respond to pings from the WAN whhich should be in the config pages somewhere.

Lots of yellow (basically jitter) is par from the course on cable but thick swathes of blue (average latency) and any substantial amount of red (packet loss) suggests congestion. If you have any problem interpreting your graph post it up here and I or somebody else will comment on it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Nov-12 17:44:07
Print Post

I have the same problem with speed after upgrading from 10 to 20. For me there is no point to use computer in the evening loads so slow.
Standard User qjh1
(newbie) Mon 05-Nov-12 19:30:42
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info - I will give the monitor a try for a few days.
  Print Thread

Jump to