General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gdavid
(member) Sat 03-Nov-12 18:35:09
Print Post

Confused over 21CN and LLU connections

[link to this post]

I am currently looking around seeing what else I can get for my money and hopefully an improvement in speed.

I am currently on a full LLU (CPW - Carphone Warehouse) connection on a long line - best estimate is 5.4Km and usually get 1.7 to 2.01Kbps connection. When I was on an IPstream product a couple of years ago it was about half that.

Doing a speed test with PlusNet or BT I get the following estimate

BT Total Broadband BT Total Broadband
The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted. Between 2.5Mb and 6.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 4.0Mb)

Though this is of course a postcode check.

The stats from my router are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1723 kbps 498 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 36.5 db
Noise Margin 12.3 db 11.6 db

So presumably they are quoting for a 21CN connection. Is it realistic that I will see an increase of speed over the current LLU connection.

My exchange is SDMDHRS

My router is a Netgear DGN 2000

Regards

David

Edited by gdavid (Sat 03-Nov-12 18:53:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Nov-12 18:47:55
Print Post

Re: Confused over 21CN and LLU connections

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

No you will get about the same speed, as full LLU from CPW and 21CN use the same technology i.e. ADSL2+

What might change with 21CN WBC is that if the line is stable you may get a 6dB target margin, boosting speed to perhaps 2 to 2.5Meg. If your line is stable you can request this sort of change with TalkTalk via their own members forum

And a range like this is to be expected on the postcode, as this can cover a wide area depending on density of housing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gdavid
(member) Sat 03-Nov-12 18:56:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - didn't think I would get anything magic. BTW I am not with TT, just on a CPW reseller line.

Regards

David

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Nov-12 18:58:46
Print Post

No, both LLU & 21CN use the same technology, ADSL2+. You may gain or lose some benefit from the way diff ISPs handle that technology, like BTw can use a lower NM, 3dB, on stable lines.

In fact at your distance you'd be better off running with ADSL1 or ADSL2 only. You might even be doing that now if you could see the ADSL Mode from the TELNET i/f of your Netgear router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Nov-12 19:02:51
Print Post

In which case reseller should be able to make the request

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gdavid
(member) Sat 03-Nov-12 19:32:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
No, both LLU & 21CN use the same technology, ADSL2+. You may gain or lose some benefit from the way diff ISPs handle that technology, like BTw can use a lower NM, 3dB, on stable lines.

In fact at your distance you'd be better off running with ADSL1 or ADSL2 only. You might even be doing that now if you could see the ADSL Mode from the TELNET i/f of your Netgear router.

Thanks

I do have a few choices as follows:-

Modulation mode
MultiMode
G.DMT
G.Lite
T1.413
ADSL2 (G.992.3)
ADSL2+ (G.992.5)
Reach Ext. ADSL (Annex L)
Double Upstream (Annex M)

At the moment I have ADSL2+ selected but I can have any or all selected. Did have them all selected earlier which was giving a higher speed. Chose ADSL2+ and the speed dropped a bit, but they may have been because I had already rebooted twice today thinking it was at fault rather than a cable.

Regards

David
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Nov-12 19:38:06
Print Post

ADSL2 is probably the best option

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Nov-12 19:39:24
Print Post

I didn't mean what you choose, but what the router negotiated with the exchange kit, which you can only see via TELNET with Netgear routers.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Nov-12 19:39:26
Print Post

Don't reboot the router frequently. The system doesn't like it. A few times an hour, but well below 10, is permissible, but I used to stick at 5-6 and leave time between them.

For best connection sped, always do the connection well inside daylight hours.

Select ADSL2 and G.DMT. Nothing else. See how that goes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User gdavid
(committed) Sat 03-Nov-12 19:55:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
ADSL2 is probably the best option

Ok - will try that.

Regards

David
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to