General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Nov-12 00:29:55
Print Post

Changing from Sky LLU to O2

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing from Sky LLU to O2 for my phone+BB.

They have advised that an engineer needs to visit in order for the changeover of the line to happen, and they can't do this until Dec 17th. Is this really neccessary? I understand work needs done at the exchange but surely this can be done before then? Surely no engineer needs to physically visit my home as the telephone port currently works fine and is active (albeit on Sky's network currently).

Also, they advise that as it's a 'Third party takeover' my BB won't have any downtime and it'll be a case of the new broadband being active the day the line is switched from Sky to O2, can anyone reassure me that this is the case?

Many thanks!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 00:49:53
Print Post

Re: Changing from Sky LLU to O2

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Is your line FMPF or SMPF (full LLU or ADSL )only ?

1, You will get some downtime for both telephony & adsl if Full LLU , As Both will need to be disconnected from Sky's equipment and re connected to BT wholesales and O2's SMPF LLU for the ADSL at your exchange
2, There should be no need for an openreach engineer to visit your home normally

Unless they (o2)have placed an order for a new line install , which shouldn't be needed

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Nov-12 00:57:05
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Hi,

I think it's full LLU as I'm completely on Sky's network for the phone and adsl.

Do you have any idea how long the downtime would be? Also, does it seem unreasonable that this apparently can't be done until 17th Dec if all that's needed is some work at the exchange to disconnect from Sky's equipment and reconnect to BT wholesale?

Thanks very much for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Nov-12 01:04:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
all that's needed is some work at the exchange to disconnect from Sky's equipment and reconnect to BT wholesale?
No, the BB needs to be moved from Sky kit to O2 kit (assuming O2 is LLU'd at your exchange else it would be madness to migrate) and the phone needs to moved from Sky to BTw.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Nov-12 01:09:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Forgive me for my ignorance, I've not really had to deal with this kind of thing much in the past! Exchange is O2 LLU so that's no problem.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 01:58:02
Print Post

Unless o2 have placed a sim provide (if that's possible from FMPF LLU) then both ADSL & Phone would go live at the same time or within hours, But if they haven't done this or it's not possible then the date may be phone only, in which you would have to wait a few days until your number was visible on the btw checker before you could get adsl or order it, the 17/12 is a fair way away for exchange type work, which may mean that they have placed an order for a new line instal, i would be double checking what order they have placed , otherwise the sky service wont stop on that day and you would have to cancel it this would or could result in a cease charge as sky may pass on the openreach charge and a new line would probably mean a new number, and presumably additional costs for instalation

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Nov-12 12:31:36
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Cheers Tommy,

WIll give O2 a call today to double check what they've booked in.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Nov-12 13:46:21
Print Post

Have contacted O2 today who have confirmed that this is the earliest appointment they can do and that the same engineer will visit the house that attends the exchange.

Does this sound accurate or are O2 fobbing me off. I still think it's a little ridiculous, even with the exchange work involved, that the first date for activation is over a month and a half away.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Nov-12 15:02:40
Print Post

Are they installing a new line, and if so, why? Thay's the only reason an engineer visit to the house would be needed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Nov-12 15:13:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nope, line is already in the property. Just needs to be swapped back from Sky to BT network at the exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to