General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Nov-12 14:01:15
Print Post

They used what?

[link to this post]

Just back from house sitting for a friend of a friend and getting his broadband working.

It had been running "OK" until about 6 months back when it failed. It was repaired but was significantly lower than before - 300 to 400 kbps on a good day compared to the 1.2-1.5 Mbps previously but they survived. The whole line failed last week including voice which so bad and noisy!

The BT Openreach tech soon diagnosed a drop wire problem and installed a new one going back three poles to a box at the top of one, which feeds further overheads for another mile.

He showed me the problem - the last repair was done by a contractor who, according to BT records, had replaced the drop, but the friend confirmed it had not been done. What had happened was that he had used "another pair" - except that they were not a "pair" but two of the steel strain wires and in the gable box they were just twisted with the wire to the inside.

Cowboy/Con-man is the only description.

The steel obviously caused extra attenuation, not-being a twisted pair added to the noise pick up on both ADSL and voice and the unprotected joints created more noise as they got wet and corroded.

I did a bit if tidying up inside ... and they are running at a healthy 1.8Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Nov-12 16:29:35
Print Post

Re: They used what?

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You mean to say those steel wires arn't supposed to be used?

Guess i'm going to have to re-label the dropwire drums as 2pr instead of 3 and a half pair...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User btbert
(member) Mon 05-Nov-12 17:54:53
Print Post

Re: They used what?

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

or even one pr on the stuff we get now ! smile

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to