General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User UnionCastle
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-12 07:00:48
Print Post

AOL Computer Checkup. Registry cleaner problems

[link to this post]

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes!

I have AOL Computer Checkup installed which does a fairly good job of most things but when trying to clean the Registry it indicates 184 errors on CURRENT USER but when I click on CLEAN the progress bar goes to 92% EVERY time and then my computer completely freezes and I have to restart with the button on my tower.

I have tried disabling anti virus (Kaspersky) but still no luck.

It cleans all the other registry errors but never Current User.

AOL are no help at all!

Any suggestions in PLAIN language how I can resolve the problem please?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 08:43:20
Print Post

Re: AOL Computer Checkup. Registry cleaner problems

[re: UnionCastle] [link to this post]

184 errors or which it removes 168 or so ... then next time you run there are 184 again.

It sound like a tool I would not go near or you have something causing all the errors. Why are they returning?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 09:06:14
Print Post

Try letting it Run as Administrator.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 09:08:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
184 errors or which it removes 168 or so ... then next time you run there are 184 again.

It sound like a tool I would not go near or you have something causing all the errors. Why are they returning?
It could be it is running two passes, one to catalogue them, then a request asking if the user wishes to continue, then the cleanup.

The OP hasn't said, but if the freeze is on the first pass then that would explain it.
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 10-Nov-12 09:09:13)

(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-12 10:20:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not too sure what you mean Run as administrator?

When the 'checkup' checks for errors against each section it itemises against each then I click on CLEAN and as I said it cleans all the others except Current User which has the most errors, probably because it never fixes them!

Does having those errors matter?
I could leave it out when it does its thing to avoid freezing.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-12 10:37:30
Print Post

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve?

Registry cleaners all too often find errors where none exist, or as others have suggested you are running with an account that does not have rights to change them.

Which version of Windows are you running?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-12 10:43:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The problem I am trying to solve is when the checkup automatically runs at the time I set for a weekly check the computer always freezes whgen it gets to the same point and has to be restarted as I said above with the bottom button on the tower.

I have Windows XP.

I don't really know what registries are and being well into pensioner age have trouble trying to keep up with things!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 10:44:33
Print Post

Whatever you click to run it, right click instead of left click. You get a context menu, one option being Run as Administrator. I don't really expect it to solve it, but it may, as the place it is failing is "your" own account.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-12 10:46:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

XP so run as administrator present

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-12 10:49:47
Print Post

If the only visible problem is the checker itself then I would suggest stopping to run that checker.

Registry is just a very long list of settings that software and the operating system can use to store information. Sometimes cleaners can clean things up too much, and in this case it is probably coming across something it has no idea what to do with and crashes.

XP is so old also that very likely AOL is not testing it much anymore on that operating system.

Registry cleaners are only really needed if you are someone who installs and deletes lots of software every week. These often when uninstalling leave orphaned bits of information, and the cleaner is removing this.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to