General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 13-Nov-12 09:40:15
Print Post

Can BT still do "rollover" lock-in landline contracts?

[link to this post]

I seem to remember at some point signing up to a 1-year lock-in with BT for my landline. There was some incentive, I forget what. I also seem to remember that this would be automatically renewed in subsequent years, if I didn't actively step in to stop it. But has this form of inertia selling now been stopped?

I'm thinking of changing providers, but can find nothing in my BT profile about whether I'm in any kind of lock-in.

T.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Nov-12 09:46:13
Print Post

Re: Can BT still do "rollover" lock-in landline contracts?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

As I recall the law has changed to ban auto-roll over contracts.

I'm wondering whether you paid 12 month line rental in advance. When this ends you have to manually renew it if you wish. And you have a window of around 30 days to do so before it actually ends.

Some of the other land line bundles have, IIRC, a 12 month minimum term.

Tony
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 13-Nov-12 09:52:55
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

No, I've never made a lump-sum payment to BT. I'm still on traditional quarterly billing of both calls & line rental. I think, at some point (a couple of years ago?), there was an incentive to sign up for a year at once. I think I got free evening & weekends, & free caller ID - normally would have been at extra charge. But although I'm not aware of recently being invited to "renew", the freebies have never been taken away.

So I don't know whether this means I'm still in a lock-in. or whether it's illegal now anyway.

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Nov-12 09:57:00
Print Post

Asked BT?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 13-Nov-12 10:03:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I must admit, I've been trying to avoid that, as I dread calling these large organizations, and entering the labyrinth. Not a specific criticism of BT, as they're all the same. But I need a stiff drink before I even start!

Edit: decided to try their live online chat, as an alternative. Currently waited 9 minutes, and counting, with no response except: "All our representatives are currently assisting others".

Just as expected.

Edit 2: Gave up after more than 20 minutes without response. I know the connection hadn't dropped, as I was still getting automated "Thank you for your patience" messages. I was tempted to leave the chat open, to see if anyone would ever respond, or whether it would automatically disconnect after a time.

Edited by TLM (Tue 13-Nov-12 10:31:54)

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Tue 13-Nov-12 10:38:45
Print Post

I very much resent this inertia selling by ISPs, insurance companies etc. so I checked with BT and no, they don't do it any more.

I received a reminder that my landline rental was due. I pay one year in advance as there's a good discount for so doing. For some reason this is taken by credit card although we receive monthly online bills for call and BB package, this are paid by DD.

I share your frustration with call centres though BT's people in Belfast are great -- if you can get them.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Tue 13-Nov-12 10:58:27
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I suspect your agreement is just rolling on as you've not cancelled it.

Contacting BT Retail is always a test of patience, have you looked at the alternatives that offer BT Wholesale line rental, such as the smaller ISPs (this does not mean you have to take broadband from them) as they tend to offer better customer service in my experience.

If you wanted to sign up with one of them for monthly billing you can and you don't need to contact BT, they handle the migration for you.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 13-Nov-12 11:13:20
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

This was my suspicion too, which is why I wanted to double-check before initiating any migration.

Don't know if you were addressing your alternative suggestions to me or Malwaremike.

I actually want to go to Plusnet - already my BB provider for some years. I've not been unhappy with BT, other than dreading it if I ever need to contact them - which thankfully has been rare.

My reasons for considering a switch are purely cost-saving, as it's going to work out cheaper for me to take line & BB from the same provider, instead of two separate ones, as at present.

Plusnet is BT-owned anyway, albeit maintained as a distinct brand, so I'm hoping I wouldn't see a huge change in service. I can't remember the last time I needed to report a voice fault: it's probably at least ten years, so as long as problems continue to be few and far between, I probably don't care who I'm with. I do want to keep the same number though!

T.

Edited by TLM (Tue 13-Nov-12 11:14:22)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 13-Nov-12 11:46:54
Print Post

Update...

I eventually got through to them on the phone, but am still not very confident of the answer!

I first spoke to a chap who said I was in a lock-in 'til 5th Feb next year! When I queried how that was possible, as I couldn't remember signing up to that, he passed me to a colleague in Retentions, who said I was NOT on any contractual lock-in.

The second person sounded slightly more convincing, but as I've now had two different answers from two different people, but neither of them in writing, I can't be 100% sure which is correct, and that I won't get stung with a penalty on leaving. mad

T.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 13-Nov-12 14:04:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
My reasons for considering a switch are purely cost-saving, as it's going to work out cheaper for me to take line & BB from the same provider, instead of two separate ones, as at present.
Are you absolutely sure it will be cheaper?

A while ago a poster MKD did a comparison document of the phone costs from BT, Primus, the Post Office and O2. Obviously the numbers themselves have change, but I suggest you take a look at the multitude of other factors you may find relevant. For many people it isn't just the line rental that counts.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to