General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(committed) Tue 13-Nov-12 17:12:48
Print Post

BT Speedtester

[link to this post]

Getting some previously unseen errors on the BT Speedtester site today. Any ideas apart from Java seeming to be heavily involved?

HTTP Status 500 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot forward after response has been committed
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:1078)
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(RequestProcessor.java:396)
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:232)
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:462)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/6.0.16 logs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/6.0.16

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png

Edited by professor973 (Tue 13-Nov-12 17:25:11)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Nov-12 17:28:42
Print Post

Re: BT Speedtester

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

It's working for me smile

As I'm sure you know the BT speedtester is pretty flaky so could be anything!
All you can do is ensure your Java updates are up straight and perhaps try different browsers/PCs depending on how important it is to you.

EDIT: Just seen you are also with Freeola.
My speedtests haven't been matching my Sync/IP Profile lately - are you seeing anything strange?

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.95 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.24 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5.5 Mbps

I'm on the Faraday IPSC node - currently only at 65% usage?

Edited by b4dger (Tue 13-Nov-12 17:34:45)

(committed) Tue 13-Nov-12 18:09:40
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Yes, I am seeing plenty strange recently. My speed had dropped by about 3Mbps over the last few days, with both my BT profiles showing a lot lower than the speeds I am actually getting. I pulled the Fritzbox out yesterday and put the Airport Extreme back into use. It always runs faster with a lower snr, but as I have had a few restarts over the last few days I will give it time to settle before I make waves, but things have definitely slowed somewhat.
Just tried the BT Speedtester and it is working again now. When it was playing up, Firefox just locked, but IE gave the error report I posted, so somewhat more informative.
Updates have been a pain on Windows 8, with the recent Flash version, while working in IE, gave a three-way clash with FF and Trusteer security software.
I'm on Stepneygreen.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 13-Nov-12 18:11:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 00:10:04
Print Post

b4dger's IP Profiles are well above his actual throughputs though?

Are you saying your throughputs above the IP Profiles? That is unusual these days, but used to be associated with Kaspersky and Avira IS suites buffering and scanning before releasing to the testing software..

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(committed) Wed 14-Nov-12 08:27:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, very much so at times, though pretty much normal today apart from the recent speed drop. My upload speed is 1.16Mbps against a profile of 0.83Mbps, but I realise that is down to the way my ISP switches the full speed on and off to achieve the target upload speed.
You will see from the screen snap the nightmare I had with PN and the regular just on 14Mbps when switching to Freeola, Sheffield being the best performing server for me. You can also see the recent speed drop of around 3 Mbps. I had no restarts that I can remember prior to this drop, just a re-sync around every three days or so. I may give the Airport Express a morning restart shortly.
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5914/speeddrop.png
Edit: A restart with minimum household noise (No silly compact lights etc) I am still on 10.52Mbps down via a 11.09Mbps profile, so will now leave it for a couple of days, but adjustments really should be immediate these days subject to line problems strangling the profile.

Edited by professor973 (Wed 14-Nov-12 08:45:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 08:50:34
Print Post

No IP Profiles showing there. I would like to see BT speed tests showing speed above it.

Entanet run a copy IP Profile system, just like Plusnet. But of course, the throughput should be below the lower of the two.
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Nov-12 08:51:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Nov-12 09:33:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Has anyone actually looked at the raw traffic arriving across the network interface and modem?

Upstream on flash is interesting on that with some software combinations it can be spiky and this leads some algorithms to then display a higher than possible speed

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 09:41:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
with both my BT profiles showing a lot lower than the speeds I am actually getting.
Both BT Profiles? I thought the upstream value was only shown on fibre connections?
... with the recent Flash version, while working in IE, gave a three-way clash with FF and Trusteer security software.
See MrSaffron's post just now. I wonder if things can now go wrong again with downstream values in the same way as the Flash-based testers used to - as I said earlier.

We used to be able to get speeds above 50Mbps on ADSL2+ crazy.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Nov-12 09:53:17
Print Post

Sorry - I meant to add to my thinking about Flash, the fact you are using Windows 8 could be a factor.

Does anyone know how compatible the two are with each other? I wouldn't be surprised if in Win 8 Flash isn't deprecated.

Edit
with the recent Flash version, while working in IE, gave a three-way clash with FF and Trusteer security software.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Nov-12 09:54:28)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Nov-12 09:58:25
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Pleased to say my connection is currently behaving this morning - now seeing normal throughput for my IP Profile during speedtests smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to