General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bkaz
(learned) Tue 20-Nov-12 19:11:47
Print Post

MAC from current ISP

[link to this post]

hello folks. a quick question. can i ask my isp for a new mac before the old one has expired? thanks in advance!

My boss told me, career is a verb.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 19:14:55
Print Post

Re: MAC from current ISP

[re: bkaz] [link to this post]

No. Why would you need to?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User bkaz
(learned) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:31:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I asked for the MAC expecting to place an Infinity order. Because of project delays, It now seems that I can only probably place an order next week which means the current MAC will have only a few days of validity left as BT have been quoting approx 2 weeks before they transfer. This means that the MAC would not be valid on transfer date. Possibly showing my ignorance here, but I thought the MAC had to be valid on day of transfer?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 22:27:29
Print Post

[re: bkaz] [link to this post]

You should be OK.

The MAC is valid for 30 days from issue, and has to submitted by the ISP to Openreach with the migration order within that time. As long as there is no error in the MAC, (very occasionally there is), Openreach accept it and then give the ISP the installation date. That date can be long after the 30 days is up.

I've never heard of a gaining ISP not submitting their order with it to Openreach on the day the customer orders from them.

The only thing that might go wrong is the MAC expires before you can order, maybe the day before, and you have to wait however long your old ISP takes to get a new one before you can carry on.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 20-Nov-12 22:29:44)

Standard User bkaz
(learned) Wed 21-Nov-12 10:38:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification RobertoS. It was my ignorance showing smile.

Hopefully things will work out.

Print Thread

Jump to