General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zoon3d
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 19:59:52
Print Post

Advice needed setting up network

[link to this post]

Hello

As someone relatively new to broadband and networks, I'm looking for some advice in setting up a network for a charity I work for.

First scenario

The requirement is to have around 20 laptops connected wirelessly at any one time (classroom environment). At the moment the office has a n150 router and I've tested the internet speed at around 2Mbps.

Second scenario

Multiple classrooms, about 50 between furthest and incoming connection. One line into the building, n150 router and I've tested the internet speed at around 4Mbps. Will be running 15 or so laptops wirelessly in each location, about 3 rooms in total, walls and ceilings obviously separating them. I have been advised to have a second line put in closer to furthest classroom instead of run an extension to existing access point.

Any advice appreciated!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:21:14
Print Post

Re: Advice needed setting up network

[re: Zoon3d] [link to this post]

Doubt that domestic router will cope with that quantity.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 21:09:14
Print Post

Consumer routers will just give the bandwidth to the first person who tries to use it, and then you end up in a big battle.

With those sorts of access speeds, if the 20 or 50 are online at the same time then only simple web based browsing is likely to be reasonable, and many consumer grade routers will struggle.

In first scenario a decent consumer router will probably suffice.

In second scenario, I would suggest going with a router per room to split the load out a bit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 21-Nov-12 11:57:47
Print Post

may help to separate the routing and the wireless access in your mind - a single broadband modem/router can link to three wireless access points (or routers. if you must) by wired ethernet and these can be on channels 1,6,11 to minimise overlap.

In 1st scenario can you run an ethernet cable to the classroom and use an access point in there, keeping signal load off the wireless of the office router (obviously it still has to handle the TCP/IP).

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to