General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ozgirl
(newbie) Sat 24-Nov-12 13:35:40
Print Post

Tesco Broadband - web pages slow to load

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've recently been connected to Tesco Broadband. I'm finding streaming video seems ok but webpages have a few second delay to start loading and then pictures on sites can take another 10 seconds or so to load.

I've tried different browers, disabling my AV, connecting directly to the router via ethernet. My router is connected into the master phone socket.

I live in London so would imagine i'm not too far from an exchange!

The router is a Thomson TG580. Here are the stats:
Uptime:2 day(s), 05:27:25

DSL Type:G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1023 / 15349

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:293 / 342093

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12 / 16

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:9 / 20

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:8 / 8

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):--- / ---

Loss of Link (Remote):0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):21038 / 0

CELL Count (Local/Remote):8453797 / 1897912

FEC Errors (Up/Down):25709 / 603

CRC Errors (Up/Down):29689 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):85572251 / 0

Help and advice appreciated. Thank you.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Nov-12 14:34:49
Print Post

Re: Tesco Broadband - web pages slow to load

[re: ozgirl] [link to this post]

Speed not bad but you should be getting 20 Meg. However loads of errors reported.

Have you removed ring wire? Plugged router into hidden test socket behind faceplate?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Nov-12 15:53:13
Print Post

If once things have got going performance is good, then suggests a slow name resolution issue.

Have you tried using the Google DNS name servers 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4, you can override the automatic settings on one PC to see if it makes a difference

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ozgirl
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 18:12:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help.

I've changed my DNS settings and i've also plugged my router into the hidden test socket. It seems a little better but i'm still getting a few seconds delay in loading a page.

Here are my router stats now:
Uptime:0 day(s), 00:26:45

DSL Type:G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1023 / 15349

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [B/B]:36866 / 50403522

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12 / 16

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:9 / 20

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:7 / 8

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):--- / ---

Loss of Link (Remote):1

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

CELL Count (Local/Remote):1082422 / 123979

FEC Errors (Up/Down):392 / 32

CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Nov-12 19:05:10
Print Post

Too short uptime to say but error counts look OK. Keep an eye on them and be wary if , e.g., more than 1 ES (Local) per min.

Many errors might cause packets to be retransmitted and look like slow access to Net.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Nov-12 19:17:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Too short uptime to say but error counts look OK. Keep an eye on them and be wary if , e.g., more than 1 ES (Local) per min.

Many errors might cause packets to be retransmitted and look like slow access to Net.
For a start SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:8 / 8 Isn't great but is the default of tesco llu provider (C & W ) they also set interleave to on and god only knows just how much INP is being used Both only slow down both potential sync speed, and browsing due to higher ping times, in particular if tesco / c &w peering and routing is [censored] also,

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Nov-12 19:26:36
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

A slightly high NM and Interleaving will only have marginal detriment on normal browsing, whereas OP's original stats showed an awful amount of errors for the short time.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Nov-12 20:01:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
A slightly high NM and Interleaving will only have marginal detriment on normal browsing, whereas OP's original stats showed an awful amount of errors for the short time.
Agreed, but that set up could have a more detremental impact on the sync speeds, The slow web page loading could be the PC its self(hardware) browser used, even the router , But could also be the data transits used by tesco/ c &w or & their peering partners, and those of & including the servers of those web site /s that are slow to load, Without full stats from the router, and details of the slow to load web sites,or tracert ect it's impossible to know the source of this issue

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 25-Nov-12 22:04:32
Print Post

Both sync speeds identical between the two sets of stats, and a dreadful downstream sync at that? Fishy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to