General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CrazeUK
(newbie) Sat 24-Nov-12 14:28:24
Print Post

ISP's upto fishyness!

[link to this post]

Hi All.
Recently i have been shopping around for broadband.. when i say recently i mean over 2 months, i like researching my commitments.

Anyway, a few weeks ago i check the BT site to see what normal broadband speeds i get, and what i can potentially get from there infinity.

Last week it showed as upto 19mbps, which i am fine with.
I have checked again this week, and it now says between 4.5mbps and 11mbps, average of 7mbps.

I spoke to orange who had the same spiel.

I did a speedtest.net today 3 times on each occasion and over 3 separate times. It responded with 15mbps.

Is it me or are BT and the others now changing what your normal BB speed is, telling you its lower than what you actually get and what they used to say, to pressure you into buying higher speed BB off them?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Nov-12 14:50:24
Print Post

Re: ISP's upto fishyness!

[re: CrazeUK] [link to this post]

These are only estimates. The only way to find out what you should get is from your router stats, particularly attenuation.

Orange seem to have a habit of reporting your speed as well below the actual. I sync at 19-20 Meg for the last year but they report it at 13 Meg, having reduced it from 16 Meg when we were LLU frown.

No need to talk to Orange. Just look at your Member's Centre on their site. Support will only repeat what's there.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User CrazeUK
(newbie) Sat 24-Nov-12 14:55:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
These are only estimates. The only way to find out what you should get is from your router stats, particularly attenuation.

Orange seem to have a habit of reporting your speed as well below the actual. I sync at 19-20 Meg for the last year but they report it at 13 Meg, having reduced it from 16 Meg when we were LLU frown.

No need to talk to Orange. Just look at your Member's Centre on their site. Support will only repeat what's there.

Thanks for your response. I dont mind that they where reporting it as lower initially. My issue is that up until 2 weeks ago they where reporting it at double, and now suddenly its 7mb. It almost feels like they tell you its really low, so they can sell you the more expensive fibre product.

Orange BB Customer from the start!.. regret it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Nov-12 16:03:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by CrazeUK:
In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:

Thanks for your response. I dont mind that they where reporting it as lower initially. My issue is that up until 2 weeks ago they where reporting it at double, and now suddenly its 7mb. It almost feels like they tell you its really low, so they can sell you the more expensive fibre product.
Not sure that would work, But if the estimated speed for your line is lowered for some unknown reason, and you also started to get a reduced sync rate, they could use the estimate info against you, by giving it the spiel about the line is operating within specification and you are getting more or less the estimated speed for you line,
My speed estimate on BT's adsl checker has been changing from a lower to a higher estimate at the rate of nearly each week

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 24-Nov-12 17:11:43
Print Post

As XRaySpeX says:-
If you can find and post your router stats, see here for help, we can tell very closely what you should be getting now. If you are getting less there is a problem needs finding.

As for researching a new ISP, you are better saying what sort of usage and price you are looking for, and getting a short-list of recommendations from here to do your in-depth research on. The information on websites isn't really a lot of use, any more than washing powder/liquid containers tell you anything useful.

The link to what samknows says about your exchange would help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User CrazeUK
(newbie) Sat 24-Nov-12 19:08:47
Print Post

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-Port--|-Status-----------|-TxPkts-|-RxPkts-|-Collisions-|-Tx-B/s-|-Rx-B/s-|-Up-Time--|
|-------|------------------|---------|--------|------------|--------|--------|----------|
|-WAN--|-PPPoA-----------|-210420-|-273927-|-0----------|-713----|-5680---|-15:03:29-|
|-LAN---|-10M/100M-------|-248078-|-211189-|-0----------|-5270---|-766----|-15:04:09-|
|-WLAN-|-11M/54M/150M-|-77515--|-41157--|-0----------|-702----|-119----|-15:04:12-|
|-------|-----------------|---------|--------|------------|--------|--------|----------|

|-------------------------------------------|
|-ADSL-Link--------|-Downstream-|-Upstream--|
|------------------|------------|-----------|
|-Connection-Speed-|-17115-Kbps-|-1134-Kbps-|
|-Line-Attenuation-|-3.9-dB-----|-12.1-dB---|
|-Noise-Margin-----|-2.6-dB-----|-5.4-dB----|
|------------------|------------|-----------|

Orange BB Customer from the start!.. regret it
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 24-Nov-12 19:13:58
Print Post

You should have a connection of 20+ Meg for that attenuation (iirc).

Maybe the line is a little noisy, so there's a lower SNR value. Have you got up to date and solid wiring and faceplate hardware?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Nov-12 19:17:32
Print Post

Is Down Attn. of 3.9 dB right? If so you should be getting full 24 Meg Sync.

But it is usually 2 x Up Attn.

Hope you didn't type all that out. Copy and paste is much more reliable even if badly laid out, but we can cope with that.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Nov-12 19:19:50
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

2.6 dB NM is OK at night from a Target of 3.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 24-Nov-12 19:36:30
Print Post

Yes, but I wondered what a sync increase might do to the SNR.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to