General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brandscill
(regular) Sun 25-Nov-12 08:38:11
Print Post

What are the odds my exchange will get ADSL2

[link to this post]

Hello all

I just wondered what the odds were my local exchange will get ADSL2 now the infinity roll out is happening? I know full well I am never ever ever ever ever going to see the likes of BT Infinity in the next 5+ years but just ADSL2 as a minimum, so we can have some other providers would be a start.

Reckon this could happen?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDSLNFL
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 25-Nov-12 10:08:55
Print Post

Re: What are the odds my exchange will get ADSL2

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

What do you mean by "other providers"? A lot of people seem to think on exchanges lke that they can only get BT Broadband.

(You mean ADSL2+ by the way. ADSL2 is not the same thing by a long way as ADSL2+).

Even on ADSL, are you sure you are getting the best speed possible for your line? If you can find and post your router stats, see here for help, we may be able to improve it. Many people have gained well over 1Mbps by a simple DIY job.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Nov-12 12:00:51
Print Post

Probably never, size of exchange suggests that if West Sussex council BDUK project does boost speeds with superfast that probably be linked to another exchange, with in a decade or so time the exchange vanishing totally

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(regular) Sun 25-Nov-12 18:40:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What do you mean by "other providers"? A lot of people seem to think on exchanges lke that they can only get BT Broadband.

(You mean ADSL2+ by the way. ADSL2 is not the same thing by a long way as ADSL2+).

Even on ADSL, are you sure you are getting the best speed possible for your line? If you can find and post your router stats, see here for help, we may be able to improve it. Many people have gained well over 1Mbps by a simple DIY job.

Okay, other providers that aren't using BT wholesale. BT reckons I would get 2 at best, I'm getting 2.5 on a good day. I want to be able to take advantage of well priced broadband. Can't take advantage of low o2 costs, can't get talk talk can't get Sky unless I wan't they're access package like o2 which is expensive and with small data caps.

I'm a 10 minute drive from where they're rolling out BT infinity and it's just a shame we can't do 2 things at once online in this household.

It's not awful, it's just not good.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 25-Nov-12 22:00:51
Print Post

We can't help without the stats. Though if those show there isn't any room for improvement then that's a shame.

Unless you've been through this loop, there is a fair chance the stats will show something can be done.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User brandscill
(regular) Sun 25-Nov-12 23:03:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's been a while since we've had a look so now the line has been in 4 months and the broadband has settled worth going again

Link Information

Uptime: 15 days, 11:12:53

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4.512

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 882,42 / 1,99

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 19,4

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27,5 / 51,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20,0 / 4,3

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2.663 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 167 / 49.710.057

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 142 / 5.031

HEC Errors (Up/Down): -42 / 5.031 / 40.328

Results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.51 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3.5 Mbps

Speedtest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2331672876.png

http://linetest.pulsant.co.uk

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3203 kbps (400.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 368 kbps (46 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 79 ms
Jitter: 9 ms
Packet Loss: 0%
25 November 2012 23:11:32 GMT

Pingtest.net

http://www.pingtest.net/result/72879490.png

My main issue is the upload speed, though I am afraid that is actually the best it will ever be on this line. I have to do a lot of work moving files between web servers as part of my job, often use a VPN for work too and it's painful at times.

I didn't know if it be a good idea doing all these tests now as this is when the internet is at its best, but consequently when I'd normally be asleep.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by brandscill (Sun 25-Nov-12 23:15:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 25-Nov-12 23:55:09
Print Post

Not a lot of room for improvement there in the downstream, though possibly a few hundred kbps. An absolute maximum of about 5200kbps.

However, an increase of 32kbps would get you to a 4000kbps IP Profile instead of 3500kbps. That's what determines your maximum downstream throughput, and that would be a 14% increase. You are unlikely to get to the next step, 5120kbps giving an IP Profile of 4500kbps.

Have you ever tried a "daylight hours" connection using the test socket, on the wall at the back in this pic? The stats taken immediately after connecting there would tell us the best you can achieve. You need the router connected with just the ADSL cable and a filter - no phone extension cable.

If you try it, make a note of the colours of wire attached to each terminal, as per that pic, and posts the details of those as well as the stats smile.

Re the upload, there is a 832kbps option with most ISPs, but it may cost you more. (The 448kbps you have is a capped speed, not a free sync). Your line should be able to achieve the 832kbps sync. Which ISP are you with, and which package?

Standard User chris6273
(committed) Mon 26-Nov-12 01:05:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd like to see what size of exchange is the threshold people think would be liable ADSL2+ tongue

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 24276 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.0 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 1.1 db 6.2 db

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448Kbps on 20CN Alcatel DSLAM -> 24276/1211Kbps on 21CN Huawei MSAN
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Nov-12 09:08:56
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

talktalk covers 94% of households with 2,400 exchanges, leaving 3,000 to cover last 6% which is 1.5m

BT Wholesale is way behind at around 80 to 85% coverage

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brandscill
(regular) Mon 26-Nov-12 13:28:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I can answer one question now

Post Office package http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-extra

What do you consider day time?

I will be home at 6 ish?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to