General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User neovon
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 12:58:51
Print Post

how many routers?

[link to this post]

Is it possible to connect to routers to the same telephone line eg, a wired router upstairs and wireless downstairs? Both my routers were supplied by MAAF
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 13:01:04
Print Post

Re: how many routers?

[re: neovon] [link to this post]

If you mean connect two routers that have ADSL ports on them to the telephone line at the same time, it will not work.

What is the problem you are trying to resolve?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User neovon
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 13:17:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have a wireless router in my house, upstairs. I use an ethernet connection from it for my pc and use the wireless for my android phone and Wii. My wireless router has poor signal strength and sometimes I struggle to get a connection on my phone in other rooms in the house.
Downstairs, I want to connect a tv and\or sky box to the internet (no telephone socket close to them) so I thought of moving the wireles router downstairs and using an ethernet router upstairs for the pc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 27-Nov-12 13:37:54
Print Post

Where is the modem?

Is it separate or combined with a router ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 13:57:26
Print Post

So the wireless router upstairs connects to the ADSL line and has the modem in it? If yes, then you need add a wireless access point downstairs to improve the coverage.

We reviewed this
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/74-as...
which in its wireless repeater mode can re-broadcast the wireless without the need for any any additional wiring.

Other options are using devices like Home Plugs to connect a wireless access point (note NOT ROUTER) downstairs back to the ethernet ports on the router upstairs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User neovon
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 13:59:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I'm possibly using the wrong names, sorry. At the moment I have one box which has about 4 ethernet connectors and a wireless antenna. This box plugs into the phone line filter.
I have a spare box which is similar to the first, only it doesn't transmit via wireless
Standard User neovon
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 14:08:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,
Would you recommend the repeater mode ? How would this device fair with a low power signal? I don't mind he cost as long as it will work and reduces the amount of wires
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Nov-12 14:18:25
Print Post

I assume the TV can connect wirelessly if the signal is strong enough? What about the Sky box - does that need a wired connection?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 14:33:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sky box expects ethernet, but can buy wireless dongle for them. The Asus I linked to would be a better bet really.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 14:34:42
Print Post

Read the review smile

If the Asus is in a place where its only getting 2 Mbps, it can only give a maximum of 2Mbps from it, no matter how goods it wireless. So locating it in the best place i.e. before signal fades too much is important.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to