General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tthom
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-12 09:48:02
Print Post

New ISP

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am currently with BE and I am getting fed up with all the alleged Routing issues that occur every 2nd day, So looking to move on to a better ISP. I use alot of data due to streaming and such so would require Unlimited (dont like a world with limits haha) and my phone is with BE also so would require the 2 in one and I am paying £36 per month.
I am also a keen gamer so low pings would also be good or the same as my current 32ms, I also considered sky but last time my brother had it there pings were touching 50ms+

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.278 / 8.644
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27,5 / 45,0
Exchange: WSDRU
I was looking at the BE resellers but will they not just end up having a problem when BE/O2 have an issue or do they use different routing

Edited by tthom (Sat 01-Dec-12 09:49:48)

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-12 11:08:34
Print Post

Re: New ISP

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

I would recommend Sky. I only had 7mbps but I never had a problem with either gaming or downloading on LLU.

Personally i'd recommend Sky all the way. When I get fibre I am going back to them that's for sure!
Standard User tthom
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-12 11:14:08
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply I see you said you Had sky lol what happened there

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-12 11:26:13
Print Post

I had the chance to move to faster speeds on another ISP for free so I did

But I'd reconnect Sky in a flash and as I said I will do once they get fibre here and Sky offer it.
Standard User tthom
(regular) Sat 01-Dec-12 11:43:05
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

great thanks

Standard User ayeaye
(newbie) Sat 01-Dec-12 22:12:13
Print Post

To give a different perspective, I was with O2 LLU and on my long line could eek out 2.5Mbps by lowering the SNR to 3dB. Moved the line to Sky as at that time they were the cheapest by miles for forthcoming FTTC and the ADSL sync dropped to 1.4Mbps at default 7dB SNR and max out the line was 2Mbps at 3dB DNR.

If you're not on a poor line then there may be no speed differences but the reduction for me was frustrating - the other line into the house would do 2.3 - 2.5 on the 3dB SNR - that line has since migrated to BT Infinity since Sky don't have GEA link installed at the exchange yet.

(newbie) Sat 01-Dec-12 22:28:24
Print Post

I cannot comment on ping times, or praise the flexibility of their ordering process, but I have just changed from non-Lulu o2 to BT on an unlimited contract and seen my download speeds rise from ~7 to 14 Mbs, all with a reduction in prices. Might be worth a look at BT? But if you do change, make sure you agree a suitable date for delivery of the HomeHub, they are inflexible after you have been notified.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Dec-12 00:03:36
Print Post

[re: bsg017] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bsg017:
I cannot comment on ping times, or praise the flexibility of their ordering process, but I have just changed from non-Lulu o2 to BT on an unlimited contract and seen my download speeds rise from ~7 to 14 Mbs, all with a reduction in prices.
That's what would be expected. O2 Access has always ben a pitiful product, like Sky Connect and whatever the TalkTalk "out of area" product was. Similarly the Orange "out of area" before they scrapped their LLU.

They are all ADSL Max, which has an 8Mbps sync cap. Simples.

Be does not have any non-LLU.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tthom
(regular) Sun 02-Dec-12 08:33:26
Print Post

[re: ayeaye] [link to this post]

Thanks for the posts toss between BT and SKY

As for speed my neighbour is getting 10meg with sky and i am getting 7-8meg I can get 10meg if i use the 3db profile but creates drop out issues as my line is around 800M from the exchange

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Dec-12 08:50:39
Print Post

7- 8 meg, and your line is only 800m from the exchange ??? My line is 1.6k, and happily synced at 18.7 meg with a 6db target on ADSL2+. What are your line stats ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to