General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DoveKeeper
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:20:38
Print Post

Confused by EE/Orange

[link to this post]

Hi,

About 18 months ago I was happily getting a decent broadband speed from Orange on their 'up to 20mb' (using a LLU connection?). I used to get about 17 to 18mb most of the time and had been getting this for a couple of years.

Then they 'upgraded' the network/exchange and dumped me onto ip stream 'up to 8mb' (I think!)

Several phone calls later they admitted I was one of about 2% of people who lost speed due to the changes but stated that they couldn't do anything about it as "Sky now own the exchange". At the time, the BT speedtest thing said I was limited to an 'up to 8mb' connection but the Sky one suggested I could get 'up to 20mb'.

At that point I didn't see much of an option other than to move to Sky (didn't want to do that) or stick with the 'up to 8mb' connection, so I settled on the latter with a suitable bribe from Orange as I knew they were currently engaged in upgrading my exchange to use fibre so hoped I would be able to use fibre once the local area had been upgraded. In practice the fibre upgrades have now been completed but I can't have it because I'm too close to the exchange so connect directly to it rather than through a street cabinet!

Anyway, I noticed in October that the BT speed test was showing that I could expect a speed of about 17mb so I contacted Orange again to point out that my bill still says I'm paying for an 'up to 20mb' connection so why wasn't I on it? They agreed to put me on a different type of connection (WBC?) to get the faster speed if I signed up for another 12 month so I was happy to accept and they promised to upgrade and reprofile my line and that it should all be done within a couple of weeks. My new contract was started on the 4th of November 2012.

4 weeks later I still hadn't seen any speed increase so I phoned Orange (now EE) and was told, eventually, that they appeared to have 'forgotten' some part of the process but that they had now initiated the changes needed to complete the process but that it would take up to 10 days to settle down. I was told by the same 'engineer' that by the time I got home from work I should be able to see a new downstream connection speed even though my actual download speeds may be eratic for 10 days.

3 days later there had been no change to the downstream connection speed reported by my router - it remains at 8128kbps - so I phoned Orange again. An hour later I was being informed that it would change within the 10 days as the system worked out my optimum speed. This is in conflict with the statement by the previous engineer that the downstream connection speed should have increased by the time I got home. I tried arguing the point but the latest 'engineer' insisted I just had to wait.

Who is right? Should my downstream connection speed have changed by now (now 4 days since reprofiling started)?

This is what my Netgear router is currently reporting:

System Up Time 11:19:57
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 377612 440508 0 1860 4274 26:19:19
LAN 10M/100M 66944 0 0 133 0 26:19:48
WLAN 11M/54M 23083718 23001817 0 31458 24067 22:30:21

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 6.0 db 2.5 db
Noise Margin 6.8 db 23.0 db

Thanks for any help on this,

Confused Chris
Standard User tommills2543
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:29:19
Print Post

Re: Confused by EE/Orange

[re: DoveKeeper] [link to this post]

yes it should of changed, orange are a bunch of muppets. if you dont get anywhere with them contact the ceo smile

olaf.swantee@ee.co.uk

Edited by tommills2543 (Sat 08-Dec-12 23:32:40)

Standard User DoveKeeper
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:32:19
Print Post

[re: tommills2543] [link to this post]

Thanks, do you happen to know any contact details for Kermit?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:33:47
Print Post

i have managed to find this but thats about it really but im sue if you google it you will find smile

olaf.swantee@ee.co.uk
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:40:18
Print Post

also just found this number 0870 8700 862 its the Orange Executive Office for complaints i would ring them and say your not getting anywhere with there clueless tech support. You should be getting the full 24meg on your line its very short, you must be next door to the exchange
Standard User DoveKeeper
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:46:10
Print Post

Thanks, all google routes appear to lead to the exec office via him so I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on!
Standard User DoveKeeper
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:51:18
Print Post

Ah, thanks for the phone number, I'll give that a go.

Yes, I'm close the exchange, about 162 yards apparently. When I was originally contacted and offered the 20mb connection, about 5 years ago, the woman who called me asked for my permission to run a test on my line, which I gave, and then asked if she could run the tests again as the results were a little odd. After running the tests a second time she asked if I lived in the exchange as the results were the best she'd seen! laugh
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-12 00:47:02
Print Post

What exchange?

What does this say for your phone number, http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome ?

Yes, about April 2011 Orange abandoned their LLU and handed the running of their BB to BT Wholesale, putting everyone on either IPStream (8 Meg ADSL Max) at 20CN exchanges or WBC (24 Meg ADSL2+) at 21CN exchanges. Depends which yours was at the time.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-12 12:34:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by DoveKeeper:
Thanks, all google routes appear to lead to the exec office via him so I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on!
Hi, you are still on ADSL 8 Meg Max service and have not been upgraded to 21CN WBC ADSL2+ 20 Meg speed. frown

What BT exchange are you connected to? Find your exchange and tell us what exchange you are connected to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

To get in contact EE Orange with a complaint you need to write to them.

If you really do want to write in please include your...

Home Broadband Account Number
email address
telephone number
name
postal address

...so we know who you are and can get back to you right away.

contact address
Orange Customer Care
Orange UK Plc
PO Box 486
Rotherham
S63 5ZX

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/2...

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/c...

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-12 13:18:45
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
Home Broadband Account Number
It never said that! Not many people know that grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to