General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User UnionCastle
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 11:45:57
Print Post

Kaspersky or ClamWin?

[link to this post]

I recently lost just about everything on my computer and the computer engineer who fixed my computer installed ClanWin anti virus and Malwarebytes anti malware.

Previously I had Kaspersky which was free from my bank but lost with everything else.

I can easily get Kaspersky back from my bank with activation codes but the engineer said ClamWin and Malwarebytes was better.

Never having heard of it before I would welcome any advice from all you experts out there.

I have Windows XP

Thanks.
Brian
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Dec-12 14:08:16
Print Post

Re: Kaspersky or ClamWin?

[re: UnionCastle] [link to this post]

First time I've heard of ClamWin I must admit, however it doesn't look great to me:-

http://www.clamwin.com/

You might like to have a look through this for a few pointers:-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/security/f/4174048-...

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and have never had an issue to worry me......

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows/security-...
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Wed 12-Dec-12 14:44:32
Print Post

Never heard of Clamwin but over the years I've paid for Norton and for McAfee, tried AVG and other freeware, and first bought Kaspersky five years ago. It has worked very well for me and I'll buy it again when it's due next month.

A few points: this year's version can be bought under £20 online and upgraded to 2013 as usual. Don't overwrite an existing version, remove it and do clean install. Don't waste time asking Kaspersky for help (they won't) but do go to their excellent forum where most questions can be answered in minutes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 12-Dec-12 14:48:04
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

It sounds like the Windows version of ClamXav, an AV widely used on Macs.

The Mac version works pretty well.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 12-Dec-12 15:52:27
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Having looked at the web site it says this

Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

An AV that doesnt do real time scanning is of limited value and a user base of "600,000" isnt brilliant for an AV package!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 12-Dec-12 16:04:13
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I don't know how long it's been available- it's certainly new to me so can't really comment on the user base but judging by the version number (0.97.6) it's pretty new. The Mac version is 2.3.4.

The Mac version uses a "Sentry" mode where you define folders to be "watched"- any file new (or, I assume, modified) that it finds in there will be scanned. Maybe that will come on the Windows version, I've no idea.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Dec-12 16:25:42
Print Post

eset nod antivvirus and malware bytes

i too use kaspersky KIS 2011 but the above combination is very compatible with all specs of computers

nowadays you find AV solutions don't half slow down computers

SOTV KRO BCFC smile
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 12-Dec-12 16:33:47
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
nowadays you find AV solutions don't half slow down computers
On my iMac, during a scan ClamXav shows a CPU of ~80%, but that's spread across 4 cores where max'ed out shows as 400%.

So it's not minimal footprint but not particularly intrusive either, I don't notice any significant slow-down.

Bill
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 17:13:08
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I read "an on-access real-time scanner" as checking files when you open them, and executables before running. I expect it does a real-time scan as things are received from the net.

Edit - I still wouldn't go near it!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 12-Dec-12 17:13:48)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 18:02:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ClamAV is open source & cross platform, usually used to scan windows files on servers, scan emails or for fixing virus riddled windows machines from a bootable linux environment.

I don't really think of it as a modern Windows desktop protection product.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to