General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Wed 12-Dec-12 15:48:54
Print Post

primus line rental with different broadband provider?

[link to this post]

I am on a bt only exchange. I always assumed that if you moved your line rental you had to go with them for broadband as well. After all, the standalone broadband packages always said bt lines only.

But I read the other day that if you pay the 7.99 primus line rental your line still counts as a bt line and you can sign up for all the other packages? And it supports 18185

Is this right. So could I pay the basic primus line rental, make calls through 18185 and then get broadband via the 14 pounds a month tesco broadband?

Thanks
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Wed 12-Dec-12 15:51:18
Print Post

Re: primus line rental with different broadband provider?

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

I belive so it is still a BT line but you pay the line rental to the ISP. You would have to check with Primus as I have never heard of them and dont know if they offer that option not all ISP.s do

Edited by Bob_s2 (Wed 12-Dec-12 15:52:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 16:53:52
Print Post

Tesco use C & W for their broadband. If you are "in area" they require you to take their line rental as well. It's "Full LLU".

Assuming you are right that your exchange is "BT only", (what does samknows say?), it is still run by C & W but obviously not LLU.

Are you sure the price isn't higher in this situation, and have you checked that they would let you leave the line with someone such as Primus?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Wed 12-Dec-12 17:28:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am sure that tesco will give me "broadband only" when the line rental is paid to bt. Whether they would if my line rental is non bt I don't know.

Mind you since then I see bt broadband is unlimited for 12 pounds over eighteen months. So they may make more sense anyway as it is oddly cheaper than anyone else.

Mind you as an academic question and for the future I'm still curious if moving your line rental from bt changes your broadband options.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 18:06:23
Print Post

Ah yes, I've managed to find the "Broadband only" page smile.

You should be fine with a Primus line.

As for the future, (when the Tesco goes up to £18?), your academic question isn't dead simple. It really does depend on what you are trying to do at the time. Or to be more precise, when you want to move on from such a position.

Where's your BT £12 deal showing? Got a link please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Wed 12-Dec-12 21:37:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Where's your BT £12 deal showing? Got a link please?

Oh sorry. I thought it was their standard monthly offer, how odd.

I must have gone to the tesco compare broadband page, which uses broadbandchoices.co.uk and took me to
http://goo.gl/HuqNt

if the link works. It was the second option down. 12 months at £9 and 6 months at £18 plus a £25 sainsbury voucher and some free evening calls. Unlimited downloads. I thought it was surprisingly cheaper than everyone else for my sort of exchange. Hope it isn't just a typo...
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Wed 12-Dec-12 22:19:28
Print Post

Oh and you are right that tesco goes up in price after twelve months. But as the contract is twelve months I could always switch my landline and broadband then.

Bt it occurs to me has a twelve month landline contract but an eighteen month broadband contract so you would probably end up paying more for one of them to make them match up.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 22:21:58
Print Post

That's incredible!

Compare with the standard page, fifth one down. And Broadband Choices get a commission from it. (Look at the URL when on the page - it's an affiliate link).

Print Thread

Jump to