General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 13:55:13
Print Post

Billion 7800n max downstream rate

[link to this post]

I'm trying out said router. So far, so good.

I came across something though in the CLI:

> adsl info --state
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 8000
Max: Upstream rate = 1116 Kbps, Downstream rate = 18260 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 443 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15425 Kbps

Now the 15,425 number is my current sync. Is the 18,260 some theoretical max, or is it really some maximum achievable sync? Bear in mind that my SNR is at 3.0dB. When it was at 6.0dB, I think I noticed the max at 16,xxx which would be more in keeping with my best ever sync, which I achieved by lowering the SNR.

Attn: 32.0dB on ADSL2+ / and was 29.0dB on ADSL

Probably 2.1km line length at a guess. Oh and my upstream rate is generally 1100Kb (pending a reset).

Is the router throwing a max number out based on the frequency range, but ignoring the current SNR into the bargain?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Mon 17-Dec-12 13:57:12)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Dec-12 14:16:00
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800n max downstream rate

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

If the max is the same no matter what SN margin then the suggestion is that is using the attenuation as a guide rather than doing any proper maths

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 14:19:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's the thing. The max changed with a reboot/SNR change. Which one changed it remains to be seen.

I also notice that Plusnet have 'Up to 16 Meg' packages, which begs the question...even if my line and router can get more than 16 Meg, will Plusnet cap the sync?

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Dec-12 14:51:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
I'm trying out said router. So far, so good.

I came across something though in the CLI:

> adsl info --state
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 8000
Max: Upstream rate = 1116 Kbps, Downstream rate = 18260 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 443 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15425 Kbps

Now the 15,425 number is my current sync. Is the 18,260 some theoretical max, or is it really some maximum achievable sync? Bear in mind that my SNR is at 3.0dB. When it was at 6.0dB, I think I noticed the max at 16,xxx which would be more in keeping with my best ever sync, which I achieved by lowering the SNR.

Attn: 32.0dB on ADSL2+ / and was 29.0dB on ADSL

Probably 2.1km line length at a guess. Oh and my upstream rate is generally 1100Kb (pending a reset).

Is the router throwing a max number out based on the frequency range, but ignoring the current SNR into the bargain?
The Max: Upstream rate = 1116 Kbps, Downstream rate = 18260 Kbps are the max attainable rate,(the max sync that the router could negotiate) at that time, (the figure can flutuate quite a lot)
The attainable rate will increase with lower target snr values, unless this causes a lot of errors,then it may may show a decrease but will stay around 2-3mb higher

As for plusnet capping your downstream sync, I would think it unlikely, unless you where to include use of DLM and interleave ect, which can be the underlying reason for a lines underperformance sometimes , My connection isn't subject to DLM ,and i choose to run it on fastpath for the higher sync and lower pings
They would probabliy be within their rights to refuse to provide support for sync speeds over their advertised products max speeds,

on another note, your upstream is being capped to 448kbps by the looks of things
ASDL2+ max speeds are upto 24mbps down, and 1.3-4mbps up
My attenuation shows as 32.5db on my router ASDL2+ my sync on the Openreach engineers exfo was 17.8mbps on a 3db target,
But have seen 18mbps in the past (BE LLU) but used to get 18.5 -19-5mbps on a 4db margin with UkOnline That was using a router with matching chipset to the easynet line card i was connected to my current max rate (adsl2+ Annex M) is Max Rate:19564 Kbps it has been higher highest i recall seeing is over 20000kbps

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 17-Dec-12 15:12:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 15:52:59
Print Post

That's the thing. I also notice that Plusnet have 'Up to 16 Meg' packages, which begs the question...even if my line and router can get more than 16 Meg, will Plusnet cap the sync?
Nope. It's the new advertising rules that require more than (IIRC) 10% of customers to be getting at least that. You can't advertise "up to 24Mbps" any more.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 16:09:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
The attainable rate will increase with lower target snr values, unless this causes a lot of errors,then it may may show a decrease but will stay around 2-3mb higher

As for plusnet capping your downstream sync, I would think it unlikely

on another note, your upstream is being capped to 448kbps by the looks of things

Cheers for that. I did wonder about the increased 'max' when I lowered the SNR. Given that my SNR fluctuates between 2.5 and 3.5dB, I imagine 16,500 or so will be my realistic max on a good day.

The upstream cap seems to be an anomaly. Bob at Plusnet is looking in to it.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 16:09:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Nope. It's the new advertising rules that require more than (IIRC) 10% of customers to be getting at least that. You can't advertise "up to 24Mbps" any more.

Cheers. I did wonder.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 16:27:23
Print Post

The upstream cap seems to be an anomaly. Bob at Plusnet is looking in to it.
?
Your stats page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 16:31:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That was a wee while back. The current 443 sync is the result of something from Thursday.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.
  Print Thread

Jump to