General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Greg
(regular) Wed 19-Dec-12 09:48:59
Print Post

Moving to virgin from adsl then switch later to fttc

[link to this post]

Hi,

Been waiting for my exchange to switch on fttc, two delays previously now the third one which has pushed the date back another 3 months. My current connection is 4MB with O2, limited due to distance from the exchange. 2 of my 3 kids are now old enough where they want to use youtube, bbc iplayer, netflix etc which really hurts whilst I try to have the odd game of planetside2, watch netflix etc. So I've come up with a plan and I'd like any feedback you might have to avoid making a bad decision. My confidence is low that BT will make the March date due to the previous slips despite my and many of the local cabinets being replaced and power routed to them. So my plan is as follows :

Find the cheapest phone only deal which keeps my telephone service going over BT's infrastructure
Get a 12 month Virgin broadband service which is available in my area (either upto 30 or 60MB), then either keep the Virgin broadband service or move to FTTC (after 12months or longer if BT can't get the exchange FTTC ready).

My concerns are as follows :
Are there any cost implications I'd be worse off for by going from adsl to virgin then to fttc rather than waiting for adsl to fttc ?

I'm nervous about going to Virgin for broadband, I used to have tv and telephone from them when they were NTL and they were always screwing up the billing + I've read some unhappy comments about their broadband service although I know theres likely to be far more happier virgin broadband customers than unhappy (hopefully).

My exchange is Cosham which is part of the Portsmouth area.

Any suggestions/feedback gratefully received.

Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 19-Dec-12 14:42:53
Print Post

Re: Moving to virgin from adsl then switch later to fttc

[re: Greg] [link to this post]

you can get a VM cable connection before dropping the ADSL, so you;ll have a feel for it.

There may be a cease fee on the ADSL - about £30 ? Switching to FTTC that probably counts as a no-fee migration / upgrade.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User brandscill
(regular) Sun 30-Dec-12 22:52:45
Print Post

Re: Moving to virgin from adsl then switch later to fttc

[re: Greg] [link to this post]

My parents have Virgin Media and they're based in fareham which is linked with the cosham kit.

Speeds are spot on, they have the 30 package and they always get the 30 down 3 up promised, as does my friend who still lives in the area on 100 down 10 up.

I'd say find a good Virgin deal and switch over, might as well take your phone as well to be honest as there isn't a solid reason to stick with BT if you can get fast Virgin BB now

Nice when I visit as back at home its bog standard ADSL Max

Virgin 30mb is £14.99 for 6 months (6 months of free broadband with 14:99 line rental + talk weekends) after that it would be £30 going forward.

or bog standard broadband no phone, 17.99 for 3 months then 22 after (I think)

Good deal I say, I pay £26 a month for terrible service from the post office, no chance of BT giving my exchange any upgrade and worst of all when there we had a minor fault we were told 5 weeks to wait for a BT visit to fix it! Luckily it was discovered it was a local fault and that was sorted quicker. Regardless, after waiting 10 weeks for the initial install I won't ever be choosing BT again unless I have too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to