General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-12 16:17:33
Print Post

filter plates and hardwired ext.

[link to this post]

Hi, further to my last post, I have disconnected the ring wire from No3 terminal in my old master BT faceplate downstairs.
Now this is one of the removable front ones with test socket, but is at least 7 years old (I think much older), so not an Open Reach one but branded BT

My modem is plugged in upstairs, into a hard wired extention slave socket which is connented to terminals 2&5 on the master faceplate downstairs. I use a dangly splitter up there to allow main wireless telephone/answerphone to be plugged in as well. (there is no power near the master socket),

Since removing the ring wire my stats have shot up. BUT is it still worth getting a new filtered faceplate for the main sockets? would it help even more?

and would that mean I do not need to use an adsl splitter upstairs?

Your thought are much appreciated.

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do!)

Surfing with FireflyInternet
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Dec-12 16:27:35
Print Post

Re: filter plates and hardwired ext.

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Probably will be of no real assistance, but need to see stats to firm up that answer

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Dec-12 16:55:46
Print Post

ukwoody,

There are several ways to tackle the job if you want to keep the router upstairs, but my preference would be to use CAT5 cable from the A&B terminals on a filtered faceplate to an adsl extension socket upstairs carrying the unfiltered adsl signal. The CAT5 cable can also be used to carry filtered voice to a phone extension socket upstairs from terminals 2&5 on the filtered faceplate using another twisted pair in the CAT5 cable.

This way there would be no need to use a filter upstairs and the adsl signal will be optimised since one will be using CAT5 cable and the filtered voice signal, together with any potential interference, will be kept separate from the unfiltered adsl signal, i.e. both not feed along the same twisted pair.

You may be able to utilise your existing extension cable to do the same thing if it is of high quality using twisted pairs...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Dec-12 20:47:36
Print Post

4M2 has a technically excellent solution there, but for most of us I feel it is overkill.

I would leave the wiring as it now is, and simply fit an extension filtered faceplate upstairs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Dec-12 00:20:40
Print Post

RobertoS's solution is excellent also but don't forget to use a dangle filter in the downstairs BT master faceplate if you plug a phone, sky box, etc. in there smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Dec-12 00:31:39
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
... but don't forget to use a dangle filter in the downstairs BT master faceplate if you plug a phone, sky box, etc. in there smile
That's true. A filtered faceplate there would avoid that potential ugliness as well.

We've both failed to mention that an IDC/Krone tool will be required.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Dec-12 00:38:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
We've both failed to mention that an IDC/Krone tool will be required.

...and keeping the wire tails short smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Dec-12 00:54:43
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

It's woodlice that really get to me.

Standard User ukwoody
(committed) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:06:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, will change faceplate for tidyness I think!

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do!)

Surfing with FireflyInternet
  Print Thread

Jump to