General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(committed) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:10:59
Print Post

speed drop when faceplate on

[link to this post]

Hi all, another one from me.

If I plug into the master/test socket i get a faster download speed by about 200Kb then if I plug into the proer front plate (if that make sense), that also has an ext hardwired onto it. Is this to be expected?

cheers
woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do!)

Surfing with FireflyInternet
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:33:03
Print Post

Re: speed drop when faceplate on

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Are you talking about the profile dropping by 200kb? Or sync speed?

The answer is that yes, a faceplate will probably cause some reduction in speed - maybe just a few kb or maybe a something greater. The faceplate itself (and indirectly the extension wiring and phone) changes the impedance across the line - lowering it slightly so bins which are borderline may become unusable.

I did some measurement many years back on my old ADSL max service and was loosing a few 10s of kb, tried a colleagues and they lost nothing (syncing at max with plenty of margin) and another colleague dropped about 120kb.

All you can do is make sure the connections are clean and tight, the extension wiring does not get too close to either mains or noise sources and if your phone will work without, remove the ring wire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ukwoody
(committed) Thu 20-Dec-12 17:29:02
Print Post

Re: speed drop when faceplate on

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank you MHC, its' the sync speed. thats re-assuring to know.

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do!)

Surfing with FireflyInternet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to