General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gdsm
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-12 22:05:05
Print Post

noisy line and disconnects?

[link to this post]

Since about 1130hrs on 19th December, I have seen an increase in packet loss, periodic increase in latency, crackly voice line, and periodic disconnects of the DSL, some of these disconnects coincide with talking on the phone. I have changed the filters, and even changed the modem (from a Cisco DSL-WIC1 to a vigor120), disconnected all bar one phone, and plugged direct into the BT master socket (thereby eliminating internal wiring). The BT master socket is not one of the new ones with a face plate and socket behind it. It was here when we moved in, and I guess must be at least 10 to 15 years old. The incoming BT line is overhead and goes through the middle of three trees.

When working (which is most of the time) we get about 3608 Kbps down, about 851 Kbps, SNR Margin 5, Loop Att 33.

I have reported the problem to BT but they say it is a fault within the property, and closed the first fault without telling me. I raised the fault again, and hope they at least send someone out to look this time.

I am presuming this is a fault with the incoming BT line even though BT say it is a fault within the property. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

My question is: Does anyone have any advise on how to get BT to change the BT Master, and the overhead cable (without charging me)? as I presume the cable is at least 10 to 15 years old too.

If there is anything else you need to know, please ask.

Many thanks,

Edited by gdsm (Thu 27-Dec-12 22:49:00)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:04:25
Print Post

Re: noisy line and disconnects?

[re: gdsm] [link to this post]

Do the BT Quiet Line Test (17070 Opt 2) w/out router connected. If you hear any noise report it as a voice fault; do not talk about the BB.

10-15 years is not old for an overhead cable.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 27-Dec-12 23:05:19)

Standard User gdsm
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:11:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you, I will test it in the morning.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:22:21
Print Post

Hi, welcome to the forums smile.

First I'd just like to correct a misconception. It could be important.

You say the master socket is not one of the modern ones with the bottom half of the faceplate removable revealing a test socket. That being the case, plugging the router into that socket makes little or no difference in terms of eliminating the internal wiring. It's the existence of internal wiring connected to the master socket that matters most, not whether or not it is use.

I gather you are with Goscomb for your broadband, and that your phone line rental is still with BT. Is that right?

What did you report to BT the first time? Just a crackly line, or did you tell them about the broadband problems? If you did the latter that could account for you getting nowhere. What did you report the second time?

If you haven't already done this, I suggest you unplug your ADSL kit, any Sky boxes, and all phones but one. That one preferably being a corded not a cordless one. (You can get these cheap from several places and they are always useful for this sort of thing). Cordless phones and their power plugs can themselves be the cause of problems like this. I might even unplug them from the power in your situation.

Check what you think is the master socket really is. It has a capacitor as in the LJ 2/1A shown here. The extensions are probably LJ 2/3As, seen next to it.

With the phone plugged into the master, dial 17070 and take Option 2. It should give you silence apart from the repeating message at intervals.

Have you looked to see if there is anything worrisome about the line as it goes through the trees? Such as it being forced badly out of line in any direction by growing branches? How about a pair of binoculars on it to see if there are any obvious worn areas in the outer?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:23:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Did I really take that long typing my reply?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User gdsm
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 00:06:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello, and thank you,

Yes, Goscomb for broadband and BT for phone.

I have always reported crackly and noisy line. Never mentioned the broadband.

We have a filter in the master, then a three way splitter off the filter. The extensions are CAT6 structured wiring with rats tails to the phone. I disconnected the splitter and plugged one corded phone into the filter before posting, this removes any extension phones and their wiring. I will check what type of master it is and dial 17070 option 2 in the morning.

Yes, I have looked as best I can at the cable outside the house, but can not see any obvious wear. The cable goes about ten degrees up to a branch (which moves in the wind), over it and ten degrees down the other side, through a conifer inside which I can not see, and then brushes a large branch (which does not move in the wind) of a Horse Chesnut.

Thank you
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 00:29:40
Print Post

I think you are saying that all the extensions are connected in through the splitter? None hard-wired into the back of the master. If that is so, then as you say - removing the splitter will disconnect the wiring.

But why do you need the splitter filter to use just the corded phone?

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 28-Dec-12 09:45:13)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 09:24:41
Print Post

The cable goes about ten degrees up to a branch (which moves in the wind), over it and ten degrees down the other side
So the branch is holding the cable up and tight and may have eroded the insulation.

I wasn't clear if you have a single BT socket and do everything from the front of that, or if there are wired extensions from the back or from a junction box (as opposed to plugged in).

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User gdsm
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 11:06:28
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

yes, branch is holding the cable up, however, it does not appear to be tight, but then again, it is not sagging on either side of the branch.

We have a single BT socket and do everything from the front of it, everything is plug in.

About to do the 17070 option 2 test.
Standard User gdsm
(newbie) Fri 28-Dec-12 11:11:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The filter is so we can have the DSL working at the same time as the phone. For the purposes of testing 17070 option 2 etc. The corded phone just plugs into the master.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to