General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-12 14:31:25
Print Post

FTTC self install?

[link to this post]

Is there a self-install FTTC option yet. I.E no engineer visit required to the property (just the cabinet)?

I'm also wondering if I could put the VDSL modem in the communal utility cupboard where the BT line comes in because from there it is standard Ethernet. (could use PoE to get power to the modem). Don't need the phone line to work for calls, which it wouldn't set-up like that. Would BT have a problem with that???

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Dec-12 14:47:23
Print Post

Re: FTTC self install?

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

tongue
If you had looked in the Fibre forum you would have immediately seen this current thread.

Re putting the modem there, should be OK as the line goes there anyway. "PoE" for the power, what's that? If you mean Power Over Ethernet, I have my doubts.

If you already have extension phones they will continue to work.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-12 15:00:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My bad.

The phone line wouldn't work coz it would no longer be connected back to my flat, the Ethernet cable would be carrying power and Ethernet and therefore wouldn't be used to carry a phone signal as well. Although might be possible of only 100Mbps Ethernet and only one pair used for power and then the remaining pair used for the phone...

Would I gain anything by doing this and reducing the line length (to the modem) by about 10 meters?

Tempted to order FTTC on the lifts emergency line ... then I don't need to pay BT line rental ... Lol!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-12 15:07:20
Print Post

The lift emergency line is probably a special line that would not be allowed bb ordered on it - ah well, can't win them all.

The extra 10 metres if it is cat5 or better will probably make no appreciable difference. POE for the modem could probably be done but you would almost certainly need some electronics gubbins to do it as the modems won't do it by themselves - normally I have seen it the other way where phones have special injectors to power them using mains to POE conversion).

EDIT: Not sur ebut something like this

Edited by ian72 (Mon 31-Dec-12 15:10:42)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-12 15:13:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

FYI you just use a PoE splitter for non-poe devices.

I'm probably close enough to the cabinet for it to not make a difference, predicted line speed is 78.5Mbps ... but it has not been installed yet.

That's a shame. Although with the modem in the utility cupboard I could share the connection and cost with another resident...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Dec-12 15:42:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:
Although with the modem in the utility cupboard I could share the connection and cost with another resident...
How so? Any more than you could with it elsewhere.

Am I right in thinking you already have the ethernet cable in place? For ADSLx?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-12 15:49:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, each flat has Ethernet from the cupboard that currently has only one pair used for the phone line. I could just put in a managed switch to share the connection with others, better yet a Mikrotik router.

See this pic

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Dec-12 17:18:09
Print Post

Looks like about 5km of wires there tongue smile.

Standard User btbert
(member) Mon 31-Dec-12 17:32:23
Print Post

Well going by that pic i would say thats the main DP to your block of flats and then cat5 cable to each flat , as such you should not be touching it at all you bad boy ! LOL

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-12 21:12:22
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

Seconded Bert, that's the DP sho' 'nuff.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to