General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 16:02:54
Print Post

Google slams email accounts

[link to this post]

Big brother or what? I have several email accounts as I wish to keep my various affairs separate from one another. One of these, a Yahoo account, is used for my Youtube postings. When I opened my (totally unrelated) Gmail account today I find this:

By completing this form, you're upgrading to Gmail, email from Google. Gmail works on any device, blocks spam, and much more.

You'll be able to sign in using your new Gmail address, which will become the primary email address associated with this account. We'll send account updates, invitations, and other notifications to your Gmail address.

[My RL account]@yahoo will become an alternate email address on this account, and you'll still be able to sign in with it.

If you prefer, you can create a new Google Account with email, and leave this one as-is.

Access to my Gmail account has been blocked until I surrender my Youtube/Yahoo account. It seems that Google wants to exclude all other email providers so that it can hunt down our details as Satan hunts down fresh souls frown
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 16:13:33
Print Post

Re: Google slams email accounts

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

It's a free service, as is Facebook, so why moan?

Walk away.

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
Big brother or what? I have several email accounts as I wish to keep my various affairs separate from one another. One of these, a Yahoo account, is used for my Youtube postings. When I opened my (totally unrelated) Gmail account today I find this:

By completing this form, you're upgrading to Gmail, email from Google. Gmail works on any device, blocks spam, and much more.

You'll be able to sign in using your new Gmail address, which will become the primary email address associated with this account. We'll send account updates, invitations, and other notifications to your Gmail address.

[My RL account]@yahoo will become an alternate email address on this account, and you'll still be able to sign in with it.

If you prefer, you can create a new Google Account with email, and leave this one as-is.

Access to my Gmail account has been blocked until I surrender my Youtube/Yahoo account. It seems that Google wants to exclude all other email providers so that it can hunt down our details as Satan hunts down fresh souls frown
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 16:28:56
Print Post

[re: drummerjohn] [link to this post]

I'm not moaning, simply pointing out that Gmail users are liable to have their accounts cut off at any time and without notice. Fortunately I have backups of the material in my Gmail account and have notified the few people who use it. And yes, of course I have walked away.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 02-Jan-13 16:30:22
Print Post

From the wording of this post "somebody" must have told Google that the Yahoo mail account and the Gmail account are linked otherwise how did Yahoo know to send the notfication to the Gmail account?

Doesnt sound like the end of the world to me confused

You use free email providers and then complain about one of the downsides frown

You could obtain your own domain (around £10 these days) and you can have unlimited email addresses within it all controlled by you and no Yahoo or Google to do these kind of things.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Jan-13 16:35:10
Print Post

I dont see how users are "liable to have their accounts cut off" - if Google did that most people would walk away from it...

Follow me on Twitter. Be*
My Blog
12 Things...
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Jan-13 16:52:57
Print Post

The joys of having BT Internet as your ISP, that you need to use Google Gmail. BT should provide their own email service. BT donít want to get involved with provisioning an email service for their home domestic customers, so they palmed it out to Yahoo! tongue

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=u...

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Wed 02-Jan-13 17:07:47
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I don't like using ISP account based email because if you change isp you lose your email account. Happened twice to me, once when I move country and then when I moved house. Gmail I can take everywhere.
Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Jan-13 00:20:21
Print Post

You have misinterpreted it.

They are not taking away your yahoo account, they are making you set up a gmail account to go with the Google account you have been using by logging into Google services (Youtube is a Google service) with your yahoo account.

You have a yahoo email account, this is not being touched.

You have a Google account which was named after your yahoo email address which Google want to rename to bring it under their own roof by creating a new Gmail address.

You have another Google account which you were using just for Gmail. Are you sure you can't still access this? Try a different web browser.
(member) Thu 03-Jan-13 17:39:40
Print Post

[re: Backpack] [link to this post]

Thanks for your helpful post, Backpack. There is indeed misinterpretation all round.

I have a yahoo webmail account for seven years. This is the account I have used for Youtube where I first posted five years ago. I never had gmail for Youtube.
@ E7er, this is a yahoo web a/c from Toucansurf days, nothing to do with BT Yahoo.

I also have two Gmail a/cs opened three years ago. No account is linked to another, in fact that's why I need several for different purposes.

Google now want me to open a new Gmail a/c for Youtube, allowing me to keep yahoo as an alternate. However, they have also linked my Youtube a/c to one of my Gmail a/cs and I have been unable to access this Gmail account until I open a new Gmail for Youtube. When I try to access this a/c I get the application format and
By completing this form, you're upgrading to Gmail, email from Google. Gmail works on any device, blocks spam, and much more. You'll be able to sign in using your new Gmail address, which will become the primary email address associated with this account.

My complaint was that I could not access my Gmail which Google had linked to Youtube, Yahoo a/c still works on Youtube. Good idea to try another browser -- I was able to open my problem account in IE10. And I have also closed it.
  Print Thread

Jump to