General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tractorboy3
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 10:14:31
Print Post

TV or Aerial Cable Interference?

[link to this post]

My broadband has been installed for over 10 years on an extension line with no issues. Recently my connection keeps "dropping" sometimes for minutes, sometimes for hours. I moved my router to the Master BT Box and used the test socket, which restored the service to normal. However, using the Master box but the consumer socket, I have the same problem with the service as explained before even after unplugging any other equipment from the line and extensions. I have replaced the filters also. When I plug in a telephone handset (I usually only use this line for broadband) I notice there is quite a lot of noise (crackle) on the line, but not when plugged into the test socket, so I'm guessing this is the problem. The only recent change I can think of is that I had an aerial cable installed in August which runs alongside and across the extension socket cable for about 15 cm. Could this be causing the problem?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 10:16:16
Print Post

Re: TV or Aerial Cable Interference?

[re: Tractorboy3] [link to this post]

If there are extensions off the faceplate, then look at removing the ring wire

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...

This generally reduces noise pickup.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-13 10:46:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If there are extensions off the faceplate, then look at removing the ring wire

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...

This generally reduces noise pickup.

It's quite likely that if the extension wiring was ok before. then whoever fitted the aerial cable has disturbed it, have a look for any loose joints.

ring wire removal at the master faceplate is always a good idea.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tractorboy3
(newbie) Sat 12-Jan-13 17:20:35
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help. I removed the bell wire from all extensions and have checked the wiring for loose connections but still have the same problem. Any more suggestions?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 10:12:49
Print Post

15cm of aerial cable would not normally cause major problems especially as it is shielded but a television does generate a lot of RFI (noise) and some could leak onto the aerial lead. A badly designed or faulty television could push a lot of noise onto the lead some of which could be radiated and picked up on the phone wires. It would need to be very high level to cause problems.

Fully power off the television and disconnect the aerial connection - see if the problem remains.

If it disappears then TV at fault. If it remains then the only way it could be connected to the aerial is if there is a local amateur radio enthusiast and your aerial is picking up his transmissions - which are then re-radiated along the lead - again unlikely but it can happen.

Have you tried powering off everything, and I mean everything, including fridge, freezer, central heating, gas fire &c and then bring back a single circuit to power the modem/hub/router and PC? If it still fails you have ruled out all your domestic electrics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 12:13:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Wouldn't your test require a second stage? To wit, reconnect the aerial to the TV, leaving the TV powered off, (not on standby). Just so there is a complete circuit for the aerial. (Possible rot, but I'm just asking).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLtd Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 13:40:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Remember, this is HF/VHF so the co-ax itself is presenting an impedance to any signal. Connecting the TV might or might not change the results. RFI detection is a black art at times and it never follows the rules.!

One of my colleagues managed to get a Orange GSM base station to significantly reduce power (after an initial shutdown) because of interference it was causing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 14:13:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

"May or may not" smile. That's exactly why I agree with you the first step is to completely disconnect, but then follow up with a "dead" connection. On reflection, followed by a TV in standby, and finally TV in use. I wonder if set-top boxes are involved. Any one of the connections between the bits of kit could have been disturbed. Including a short aerial pass-through cable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Jan-13 14:15:01)

Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-13 15:04:12
Print Post

Assuming you mean the removable Consumer Socket which has to be taken off to access the Test Socket on the Master Box (NTE5); and that the problem returns when you put that back on, suggests that the problem lies in that specific part - and not onwards in your domestic/consumer wiring.

You plug your phone in to the Test Socket directly - no noise.

Replace the Consumer Socket, plug the phone in to that Consumer Socket (and nothing else) - NOISE?

Possibly that Consumer Socket part needs replacing.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sun 13-Jan-13 15:06:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Jan-13 16:03:28
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

smile
The "Consumer Socket" is normally called a faceplate, and the extension wires are attached to the terminals on the back of it.

The whole point of the design is to remove extension wiring effects from the test socket, so as to be able to test the line itself.

Replacing the faceplate therefore reconnects the extension wiring, which is the probable source of the noise.

There may be a fault on the faceplate, as you suggest, but these are very rare. (Filtered faceplates often have the filter failing, that I accept). Trouble somewhere along the wiring is far more likely given the sequence of events.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to