General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrsconnected
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 13:10:40
Print Post

Master socket broadband wiring help please!!

[link to this post]

Hello! It's great to find this site and i hope someone can help with my issue. I was moving furniture yesterday and accidentally pulled on my broadband wires and the big wire that connects into my master socket came out and i'm trying to put it back together.

There are four wires; orange, white, green and black. The green and black look as if they have never been connected to anything and from my research i think the orange wire goes in the socket-thing labelled 'a' and the white in the socket labelled 'b' - is this correct?

The second problem is that i was having a connectivity problem BEFORE i ripped the wire out, so having connected orange and white as above i still have an orange flashing broadband light. so i thought there might be something incorrectly connected in my general setup:

I have a BT home hub connected to an Openreach modem by an ethernet cable and then the openreach modem is connected from the DSL port to an ADSL filter which then plugs into the master socket. The DSL light on the openreach modem is not on.

Any ideas where i've gone wrong?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-13 13:46:43
Print Post

Re: Master socket broadband wiring help please!!

[re: mrsconnected] [link to this post]

If you pulled the wire enough to rip it out of the back of the master socket, then you may have snapped a copper core inside the insulation.

Strictly speaking this is an Openreach engineer job to fix and would be charged for.

Is the A and B screw connectors or IDC, and to double check we are not talking about the faceplate that you can easily play with, but the incoming telephone line from the exchange that goes to the back of the master socket.

You have a fttc (fibre service) I presume, in which case using a ADSL filter to connect sounds unusual, usually the master socket has a dedicated socket fitted. Photo's may help to avoid confusion.

The normal install for FTTC, means a socket like http://phil.lavin.me.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/f... will be in the home. This is very small chance you were on the FTTC microfilter trial though.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-13 14:17:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrsconnected:
Hello! It's great to find this site and i hope someone can help with my issue. I was moving furniture yesterday and accidentally pulled on my broadband wires and the big wire that connects into my master socket came out and i'm trying to put it back together.

There are four wires; orange, white, green and black. The green and black look as if they have never been connected to anything and from my research i think the orange wire goes in the socket-thing labelled 'a' and the white in the socket labelled 'b' - is this correct?

The second problem is that i was having a connectivity problem BEFORE i ripped the wire out, so having connected orange and white as above i still have an orange flashing broadband light. so i thought there might be something incorrectly connected in my general setup:

I have a BT home hub connected to an Openreach modem by an ethernet cable and then the openreach modem is connected from the DSL port to an ADSL filter which then plugs into the master socket. The DSL light on the openreach modem is not on.

Any ideas where i've gone wrong?
It should be, Orange wire to (B) and White wire to (A).
The wiring diagrams for you…

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

BT/Openreach NTE5 Socket
(B) 48v DC Orange wire.
(A) 0v DC White wire.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephon...

http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 09-Jan-13 14:44:56
Print Post

Some pictures of the socket - front and inside and the connectors you believe to be used, would be useful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Jan-13 18:31:35
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Nah, the orange is the A leg, the white is the B leg,

Standard User robster2568
(newbie) Wed 09-Jan-13 18:37:26
Print Post

it doesn`t matter which wire (orange or white) that goes on to the nte.it will have been crossed in nearly every joint from the exchange to you!

when you put the filter into the test socket do you get dial tone which is noise free?,do the broadband obtain sync?
  Print Thread

Jump to