General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jovin
(member) Sat 12-Jan-13 19:17:09
Print Post

re-sync

[link to this post]

Hi all
Very quick question as router keeps re-syncing.......will this cause a a reduction in profile and hence a lower sync speed giving better SNR margin (currently 0!)?
I'm sure this has been covered before but not getting time to look!
Thanks

John
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Jan-13 19:33:33
Print Post

Re: re-sync

[re: Jovin] [link to this post]

Depends what product you're on.

If you're on a BT Wholesale product (either ADSL or FTTC) eventually BT's DLM will notice the instability and will attempt to correct it using a number of methods.
If you're on ADSL (or ADSL2+) this correction will most likely be in the form of an increased target margin, which will force your router to connect at a lower speed.
It's clear, from what you say, the default target margin (of 6dB) isn't giving enough capacity to cope with high noise periods (hence your margin is dropping to zero and triggering a resync).

If you're not on a BTw product (e.g. you have an unbundled product such as Sky, BE, O2, Talk-Talk, etc.) they don't all have something similar to BT's DLM (which most people are glad of, because BT's DLM sucks).
e.g. If you're on BE or O2, you'll most likely have to call support and ask them to increase your target margin/SNR to 9dB. Certain BE packages allow users to select this via a web-page.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Jovin
(member) Sat 12-Jan-13 20:34:10
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
Depends what product you're on.

If you're on a BT Wholesale product (either ADSL or FTTC) eventually BT's DLM will notice the instability and will attempt to correct it using a number of methods.
If you're on ADSL (or ADSL2+) this correction will most likely be in the form of an increased target margin, which will force your router to connect at a lower speed.
It's clear, from what you say, the default target margin (of 6dB) isn't giving enough capacity to cope with high noise periods (hence your margin is dropping to zero and triggering a resync).

If you're not on a BTw product (e.g. you have an unbundled product such as Sky, BE, O2, Talk-Talk, etc.) they don't all have something similar to BT's DLM (which most people are glad of, because BT's DLM sucks).
e.g. If you're on BE or O2, you'll most likely have to call support and ask them to increase your target margin/SNR to 9dB. Certain BE packages allow users to select this via a web-page.

Thanks for that. Things seem a little more settled now and I have switched back to Draytek Vigor 2820n from a Linksys WAG200 which was worse. The Draytek rarely re-syncs but just sits there doing nothing ie no internet access even tho it says it's still connected however the Linksys was re-syncing every minute or so. Problem hs been getting worse over the last week or so and has been particuarly bad today.
ISP is Plusnet on ADSL2+
Line attenuation is around 35 on both routers with SNR margin dropping to 0, line speed hs been good when it's up at around 10-11Mb.
I have an older BT master socket without the test socket inside, I have changed the filter and also considerd getting a filtered faceplate but I dont think thats where the problem lies.
Off to do a silent line test and then contact Plusnet I guess.

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Jan-13 22:44:58
Print Post

[re: Jovin] [link to this post]

As far as I know all filtered faceplates plug into the test socket that you haven't got.

In any case there is nothing special about them as filters except that most or all also filter the ring wire.

Even though you haven't got the modern master socket you can still remove the ring wire(s). That's a good idea anyway. Just be very careful, and in your case I suggest doing it at every socket, whether used or not.

I assume everything you have connected to the phone line goes through a filter? Lots of people think they only need one where the router is plugged in, but that isn't correct.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 12-Jan-13 22:45:31)

Print Thread

Jump to