General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leighjones123
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 20:40:00
Print Post

Dropping out issues

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Hope someone may be able to help.

Over the past 3/4 weeks my internet speed has detiorated dramatically, to the point where i'm now getting little or no service.

My provider is Orange, and i'm connected via their Livebox router.

I've ran various speed tests, and literally within half a hour, it will go from 0.54mbs to 0.07mbs. Bizarre.

From trying to browse, it 'feels' like the service is dropping out. I get about 1 minute of really fast browsing - no problems at all, and then all of a sudden everything will start timing out and can't get anything up for a few minutes, and then same thing happens again.

I've ran router stats (read other posts on here, but not really sure what it all means...)

ADSL firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode : ADSL2+
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 10.9
Attenuation (dB) : 61.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 791

I've spoken to Orange technical support (that was a nightmare...) who said that they've ran a test on my line, and it's faulty so they'll have to get BT to come out.

Just wondering, with the experience and stats described above, is this likely to be correct or just a fob off?

They're also sending me a new router (Brite Box), as the Livebox is very old and they want to move all customers off it apparantly.

The service is causing me a nightmare at the moment, and my dongle charges are mounting up because i've not got a choice but to use that.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Leigh
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:08:25
Print Post

Re: Dropping out issues

[re: leighjones123] [link to this post]

Not fun!

But the info you gave us in the stats omits the rather vital connection speeds. Might be called Bandwidth.

Do you really mean "0.54mbs to 0.07mbs"? Or "0.54MBps to 0.07MBps"? Often that is just a geeky question, but when you post the connection speeds it will become relevant. "mbs" doesn't really exist on broadband, it has to be a capital M. That's a minor issue as you must mean Mega not milli. A slight difference of a factor of 1 million smile.

But given the problem you have, the "b" matters. b means bits, B means bytes. One byte is 8 bits.

Edit - just realised, you do have the attainable rate. 0.79Mbps.That's lousy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 14-Jan-13 21:13:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:20:45
Print Post

Do you have an NTE5 master socket, where the bottom section detaches. If you do then try getting the stats when the modem is plugged into the test socket that is under neath the removable section.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:42:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS - I'm sorry, I mean Mbps (as per speed test).

I'm told the line should be able to handle up to 1Mbps.

It's weird - because it literally cuts in and out... in the slight moment (like i say, 1 min approx) when it's stable - it's fine... After that i just get 404 errors one after the other - but the Livebox shows that the connection is still established.

It hasn't always been like this... It used to run perfectly fine for what I needed it for - video streaming etc. It's literally these past 2 months, last 4 weeks being the worst.
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:45:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

(google is my friend!) I'll have a look under the plate to see if i've got that type of socket.

Do i connect the router directly, or still using line filter?

Many thanks both for your support....
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:49:59
Print Post

Use the dangly filter, but no phone or other gear plugged into the phone socket of the dangly. Also, you must not have a plug-in phone extension cable between the test socket and the router.

It can be a good idea to check that no extensions will work with the phone while that faceplate is removed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 21:55:46
Print Post

Right OK! I'm not at home right now, but i'll do those checks tomorrow, and see what figures look like then.

Thanks for you're help - i'll post tomorrow smile!

Leigh
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jan-13 22:35:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by leighjones123:
I've ran router stats (read other posts on here, but not really sure what it all means...)

ADSL firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d
Please also post:
Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) dddd uuuu
from further down, at least in future when you speed gets more significant, we hope.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 14:30:37
Print Post

Can you select the mode of ADSL on the router ? try ADSL2 and ADSL to see if that helps.

You should ask for it to be interleaved too if it's unstable, fast path offers the least resilience.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 18:06:37
Print Post

I've tested it before and after test socket....

Before plugging into test socket:

Noise margin (dB) : 9.1
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 265
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 226 798

Plugged into the test socket

Noise margin (dB) : 9.2
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 715 826

Not too sure what all this means...! I've not got any other phone extentions or anything in the house, so there was no other coloured wires on the back of the plate (don't know if that means much)

Does this look like it is, infact, a BT Fault - or something else?

Many thanks,
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to