General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User EZTutty
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 12:55:04
Print Post

Being told i don't have a BT line... but i do

[link to this post]

Hi

Wasn't too sure where to post this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place...

I've recently tried to switch to EE/Orange for Home Phone & Broadband (as a tmobile customer the discount + a decent sum of cashback made it seem a good deal)

However, my line was due to go active on the 4th (according to the paperwork they sent me, there website, and the person I made the order with over the phone), which never happened... when I spoke to customer services they informed me that my activation date was the 10th, and it had never been the 4th.... so I waited until the 10th... which passed, and on the 14th I contacted EE/Orange again to see what was going on.

They initially informed me that my previous provider wouldn't let the line go, and I needed to contact them, I contacted my current provider (Tesco phone & bb) who told me everything was ready to go on there side, and that the hold up is due to EE/Orange.

So I contacted EE/Orange again, and after a while they ran some tests and informed me that there system was saying that I don't have BT Line, I told them that I do, and it's the only service to the property, but they were having non of it and told me to contact my previous supplier again.

So I contacted Tesco again, and they told me that there tests showed my line as being a BT Committed line.... but on calling EE/Orange for the final time they told me yet again that I don't have a BT Line and would have to pay for an Engineer to install a new line.

I know my line is a genuine BT line, as I paid BT to install the line when I moved into my property 4/5 years ago.

Also surely they wouldn't of taken the order in the first place if I had a non BT line?

Could anyone give me any guidance or are there any checks I can make my self?

Edited by EZTutty (Wed 16-Jan-13 12:56:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Jan-13 13:08:44
Print Post

Re: Being told i don't have a BT line... but i do

[re: EZTutty] [link to this post]

Tesco use C&W LLU to provide the service the migration from this to EE will vary according to how Tesco provisioned the line.

If Tesco can issue a MAC for the broadband service, then you are on a WLR and SMPF LLU broadband service, so moving needs the MAC and a Notification of Transfer process to take place. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html#n...

If Tesco say a MAC cannot be generated then you are on a full LLU service and it means EE need to do a full provide,
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html#s...

So the line may be a genuine one owned by Openreach, but due to products on it now the moving can be problematic. The NOT and MAC route is a lot cheaper than the sim provide route.

EE are probably saying the line is not a BT WLR service, which if its full LLU is correct and it may be they simply don't want the hassle of handling a simulateneous provide, and passing on the £50 or more to you.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User EZTutty
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 13:42:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply,

A MAC has been generated and according to Tesco the NOT has been initiated, but is awaiting EE/Orange

According to Tesco when I signed up with them (late 2010) they were not running full LLU and my line is WLR.

Do EE not also use C&W LLU? (i'm not moving to fibre btw)

I'm guessing the easiest option is for me to just stay with Tesco frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Jan-13 13:50:02
Print Post

EE use BT Wholesale services, i.e. WBC where available and IPStream Max where not. No LLU for them these days.

If a MAC and NOT has been done, then should be easy enough move and looks like problem is on the EE side

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Jan-13 16:47:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by EZTutty:
Thanks for the reply,

A MAC has been generated and according to Tesco the NOT has been initiated, but is awaiting EE/Orange

According to Tesco when I signed up with them (late 2010) they were not running full LLU and my line is WLR.

Do EE not also use C&W LLU? (i'm not moving to fibre btw)

I'm guessing the easiest option is for me to just stay with Tesco frown
When you moved to Tesco for broadband and phone, did you keep your old phone number or did they give you a new phone number?

If Tesco supplied a new phone number then you are on full LLU.

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Jan-13 17:53:55
Print Post

Put your phone number in this checker if it says the number is no recognised then you have an LLU line and are going to have issues, if it gives you results then it is a WLR line and EE are talking out their behind (I favour the second option!)

Forgot to include the link:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Edited by vivaciti (Wed 16-Jan-13 17:57:16)

Standard User EZTutty
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 19:05:18
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I kept my old number when i switched.
Standard User EZTutty
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 19:06:41
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

The wholesale checker doesn't recognise my number... looks like i'm fully LLU then.

Odd how Tesco say i'm not

Looks like i'll stick with Tesco for now, and if i switch stick to the LLU companies.

Looks like Fibre should be in my area within the next 6months (if they upgrade my cabinet or not is another story), but i'll just hold out until then. smile

Edited by EZTutty (Wed 16-Jan-13 19:09:58)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Jan-13 11:43:15
Print Post

To get ADSL2+ unlimited broadband for £2.50 per month you must be connected to Market 3 exchange and have EE Orange or T-Mobile phone or SIM card contract.

*Includes £5 discount to Orange, T-Mobile & EE mobile customers living in our network area. + 6 months free (one off broadband credit of £30). Offer ends January 31st 2013.

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Jan-13 20:12:44
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
you must be connected to Market 3 exchange
How do you know this? Orange/EE has never defined their "Service Availability Area" publicly since ditching LLU. For all you know it could be all 21CN exchanges.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to