General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superspeed
(committed) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:45:31
Print Post

We should of had option, for fixed speed on fibre

[link to this post]

I am getting a bit fed up of seeing my fibre speeds fluctuating. So it would be good that once we were happy, that we could just fix the speed/profile, so you always stayed the same.

You remember back in the days when we had fixed 1mbps and 2mbps. If you was able to have fixed speeds back then, that never really changed, then why can't they fix you to the max speed now?

I know it can't be done as PN told me it could not but said it would be a good idea.

Yet again, another shortsightedness, from openreach and a feature the numpties could of added, before fibre got off the ground. crazy

Plusnet Extra Fibre.
I don't use wireless and is disabled. Current Router = TL-R402M
Welcome to BT-Plusnet. laugh wink
http://s6.postimage.org/seoi8bcsh/BT_plusnet_logo_2_...

Old isp.
My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:49:51
Print Post

Re: We should of had option, for fixed speed on fibre

[re: superspeed] [link to this post]

I think would be 2 problems.

First openreach I would expect to be extremely conservative, so eg. there would be no fixed 80mbit sped.
Maybe fixed speed 20mbit at 100m, in other words they would do it so the chances of the sync falling below that speed is extremely remote.

When 576kbit dsl was released it needed a 43db attenuation, no where near pushing a typical 43db line.

The 2nd problem would be its not attractive to the market departments, a high "up to" speed brings i the punters even tho there is nothing in it that says will get those speeds but rather its possible if you lucky.

I think those days are history (before FTTP) unless regulation brings them back.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 19:50:53
Print Post

DLM and their profiling isn't really needed ISP's should be given control to allow for this, and if a user so wishes should The isp also be able to apply a cap on the max sync rate, but they didn't want to do that, probably because they BT would then have to employ properly trained or train staff up,

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 19-Jan-13 19:53:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jan-13 20:22:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I think DLM is certainly a good idea. People generally prefer stable over super fast.

Once fibre becomes self install and people install it in an extension socket, at the end of their DIY extension etc then DLM will be a godsend otherwise they will face no end of problems and drop outs.

The solution is to install it right but this doesn't happen in reality.

People just switch ISP rather than fixing internal wiring.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 19-Jan-13 20:22:45)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 21:19:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Adjusting the parameters of the connection can be done far better manually sometimes should it need to be adjusted, I'm my situation i would be happy and accept any issues if there was no DLM

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 19-Jan-13 21:21:53)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Jan-13 21:54:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

my experience is DLM makes bad lines worse not better.

and its dodgy BT infrastructure not internal wiring cause of line issues.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Jan-13 21:59:51
Print Post

The DLM will apply banding, (maximum sync capping and lowest sync fixing), if it encounters unacceptable instability. AIUI the bands are pre-determined.

So what's the problem? Similar to the old fixed speed but better in two ways.

1) If due to a fault, the banding can be removed.

2) If due to ongoing incurable (at reasonable expense) problems then a decent connection should be possible, as fast as it can be at the time within the band. As opposed to the old fixed speeds where if it couldn't achieve the specified speed it wouldn't connect at all. (Hence the extremely conservative attenuation levels for each of those fixed speeds).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Jan-13 12:44:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The more issues with VDSL the better for the fibre on demand roll-out smile

The more people who buy it, the earlier Openreach may decide to go for a full FTTP roll-out and not the patchy one it is doing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Sun 20-Jan-13 13:54:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As the provided modem (at least the HG612) has proven extremely reliable in service, capable of hanging on to really low SNRM values, it would be really good if target SNRM could be either user set or set by ISPs to 3 dB (as per ADSL).

My own connection should then see a sync speed boost & I would be happy to accept responsibility if it couldn't hang on at 3dB.

Even though I am up to 1000m or so from the cabinet, no doubt picking us some interference & suffering to an extent from crosstalk, I see very little fluctuation in the 6dB SNRM and the connection's attainable rates.

I have remotely monitored other connections though, where SNRM fluctuates by 3dB or more, so those connections would probably suffer with instability if allowed to use a 3dB SNRM.

Each one on its own merits could be a reasonable policy?

I'm not 100% sure I would like to see fixed speed rates, as they would no doubt be fixed at very conservative speeds in order to guarantee stability/ability to connect at all.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:35:39
Print Post

most people spend time enjoying and using their connection rather than stressing over what its speed is.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to