General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Broadbean2
(newbie) Sun 20-Jan-13 00:32:53
Print Post

Wales - NGB First Roll-Out

[link to this post]

This is now on the BBC News for Wales Website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21098608

The first phase 2013/14 includes Powys – said to be one of the most sparsely populated local authority areas in England & Wales.
Surprisingly, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion & Pembrokeshire are not included in the first roll-out phase so presumably must wait until 2014/15.

As I type this, the Welsh Government’s website is still dated 19 September 2012 so has not yet been updated to reflect this news (see: http://wales.gov.uk/topics/businessandeconomy/broadb... )
That web-link still states that ‘When combined with commercial investment, 96% of businesses and homes in Wales will be able to access a fibre-based broadband service by the end of 2015’ whereas the BBC article mentions that ‘the aim is to get better speeds to 96% of Welsh homes and businesses’.
There’s a big difference between ‘will be able’ & ‘aim’ – one can ‘Aim’ but still miss.
Also, will there be enough money left in the pot to finish the project by 2015? This TBB article raises some important points: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5549-is-wales-sta...
In particular the last paragraph, and I quote:
At this stage it appears that if you live within the LGZ corridor in Powys, better broadband looks pretty certain in the next few years, outside that area businesses and residents may still have a fight on their hands to ensure they are not bypassed, or simply left until the funding is down to its last few pennies and a voucher for a satellite dish is all that is available, allowing the 2 Mbps USC box to be ticked’.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Sun 20-Jan-13 01:30:34
Print Post

Re: Wales - NGB First Roll-Out

[re: Broadbean2] [link to this post]

North and Mid Powys, where 2Mbps is not achievable who would fall out of the Powys growth zones, have wireless operators available and grants which puts many of these small villages hamlets already ahead in broadband speed terms of the principle market towns of Newtown, llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Llanidloes.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Sun 20-Jan-13 01:47:53)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Jan-13 12:33:09
Print Post

[re: Broadbean2] [link to this post]

Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion & Pembrokeshire will be left until they run out of money then we will get promise of jam sometimes in the future. Typical of the Twonks in Cardiff bay, They AIM to get 96%.... West Wales for them includes areas historically known as South Wales like Neath - Port Talbot, West Wales - the ACTUAL west gets NOTHING - BT have again moved back dates for ADSL2 locally, poor areas like this continue to pay BTs rip off IPSC pricing for slow services provided over kit - maintained by using second hand kit scavenged from exchanges that have been favoured with upgrades.

Its a bad joke - Openjoke cant even be bothered to sort out a fault on my line that has been causing line drop/resync issues on my line that date back to 512k broadband. The latest joke from them is that is the CP equipment (from our one LLU provider) on my line - despite this being the 3rd ISP I have been with - and the fact that this LLU provider only unbundled the exchange last year. So we have a service that is at least 2 generations behind on an under maintained infrastructure... for which we actually pay MORE than those on faster ADSL2 services provided over newer kit. Wonderful - it really shows how devolved governement and the incumbent telco are running this with an even handed approach.

We have Oil refineries Gas terminals Power generation plant (s) (Another is to be built here) and 2 ferry ports - yet the Cardiff bay Cabal wont ensure we get access to decent comms here, The BDUK money seems to be going to areas that have already had investment - while areas by-passed continue to fall further behind. I get really sick of hearing PR from BT about how they are bringing access to education and stuff for people living in the valleys around Swansea (to cite one PR release from last year), areas that are within an hour of Swansea while students in the 3 counties that are in the REAL west (as opposed to the politically expedient - lets move the marker and get euro money west) that are studying courses from colleges in Swansea are often 2 hours away by (very poor) public transport Once again the M4 corridor, which has relatively good comms and transport benefits while the rest of us are left further behind.

UK broadband - an even bigger joke in the hands of Cardiff bay!

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:31:26
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Well looking at Wales on the Openreach where and when site, the rollout of FTTC is limited to 2 areas the m4 corrider (work is still on going at Swansea) and west of Chester/Wrexham that Openreach has deployed so far via their commercial deployment.

The 14 areas announced fit in with what has been done so far with the commercial deployment, fill in the exchanges in between those enbled by Openreach and then from North Wales push west towards Anglsey.
From the M4 corrider they will push north into Powys.
The West will come just a matter of time as the rollout moves from the central core outwards, its enoying to wait but many rural areas across the UK are in the same situation.

If the Welsh project can do a map like the Superfast Cornwall one, then it would go a long way to inform people of when things will be happening.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Sun 20-Jan-13 21:31:43)

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Jan-13 23:24:46
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

What makes a lot of people angry here is paying more for less.... because we are stuck on adslMax and Openjoke are too busy upgrading other areas to keep to timetable here., We had WBC dates about 2 years ago, and are still waiting.... but of course as we pay more because we are still in IPSC despite that being Openjokes inertia there seems little incentive for BT to get on amd bring us upto spec with other areas.

The West has been neglected for far too long, We are just useful for providing the fuel to keep this stuff running it seems. As ever - the real west is forgotten hidden by the greed of "political"west Wales better known as former south Wales - but like I sad.. the M4 Corridor gets the investment AGAIN, and we are sick of paying through the nose because of it.

I would put money on them running out of cash before they get to us. Cornwall? I wish the Welsh "Government" were as together on this as the County Council in Cornwall... devolution - gotta love it !

VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)

My Broadband Ping
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 21-Jan-13 20:45:31
Print Post

WBC dates slip alot but then so do alot of LLU espeically TT ones, had a date years ago but it vanished and then a few years later the exchange was enabled, though not without further delay.
WBC enablement usually comes with 2 likely dates where the work is planned to be completed in that time frame, normally more towards the end date.

Prehaps a change of local MP's/goverment is needed for the west of Wales, if your voices are not being heard in Cardiff.
Have to wait and see with the project, a new website has gone up with no information yet but when it does appear it will be good to see the rollout plan, can then see if the funding will last.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 21:14:26
Print Post

We had a change of MP at the last election..... same old neglect of the west though. The usual thing, they are only seen for photo ops and at election time. The wasters at Cardiff bay are even worse! Theres an area for austerity cuts..

My Broadband Ping
Standard User jonsey76
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-13 22:17:37
Print Post

Villages outside Wrexham, North Wales, are only now just getting fibre.
My folks in Bwlchgwyn have only been able to get a .4mb up and .12mb down for the past seven years.
Other ISP charge a premium because BT own the line.

I'm a few miles away outside Mold. I couldn't get anything more than 1mb down at best, despite BT claiming I should have a 6.5mb down speed - So I complained to BT for over two years before they got fed up of me calling them every other week, for an hour a time. They managed to fix my broadband and suddenly I could get 5mb down, but its not stable, I get just over 2mb on a good day.

Other options:

AB internet are a wireless internet provider. I am considering using them if BT are going to take until 2015 to sort things out. AB offer a 4 and a 10mb down service. If your speed if below 2mb, then you can get a grant for the setup, otherwise it's £150.

Satellite Broadband, an option, but also expensive and speeds are variable - again grants are available.

If the mobile networks providers get 4G sorted out, then in theory that could be a viable option - BUT if the cell networks cover more rural areas is yet to be seen as they only cover larger cities and towns at the moments.

What to do? - Like many, I am stuck in broadband limbo.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Tue 22-Jan-13 01:54:26
Print Post

[re: jonsey76] [link to this post]

Well the contact is signed and planning is underway, just need to see the plan and the coverage for each county announced so far.
Scotland and Wales are the interesting broadband projects as they are being done on a country level rather then by local county as in England, though at least Wales is ahead of Scotland at the moment.
As for you broadband issues have you made a seperate thread on the forum about it, as the staff and members are very helpful.

Is Mold your exchange as i notice its AO on the Openreach 'where and when' site, can you order a FTTC service?
What does the BT wholesale checker say for your line, it says which cabinet you are on.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

As for your other options, its up to you really as wireless can be a good service if your happy with the package costs and usage limits.
Satellite is best where fixed line and wireless wont reach as a option due to its cost and usage limits.
Mobile broadband, 4G coverage should see large rural coverage i believe 98% though the goverment is to announced the funding for this but this is still going to be a few years proably late 2014-2015 for rural coverage.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Jan-13 13:47:13
Print Post

I wonder how the inclusion of urban areas like Swansea and Newport that have existing operators squares with

"While we welcome efforts to improve broadband coverage in Wales, we are concerned that, particularly in rural areas, the existence of broadband notspots and slowspots has hindered existing businesses and has deterred new businesses from choosing to locate there at some cost to the local economy. Eradicating remaining broadband notspots and slowspots in Wales must be a priority for the UK and Welsh Governments."

To some it must look as if BT group are using this money to bankroll its own interests in urban areas at the expense of areas that often dont even have ADSL2 services available.

My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to