General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User okanee
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 00:15:33
Print Post

Managing a Fibre install (can't be at location)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have general installation questions; some thinking out loud to follow.....

I'm planning to upgrade an existing ADSL connection to FTTC but due to installation timeframe I likely won't be available at location when installation is done. Would have preferred to have been there to hook up / test equipment which depends on router config, port forwarding etc.

Anyone have recommendations on a particular ISP / router combination which would lend itself to having non technical family just plug the other equipment into the router and manage it remotely after the modem installation?

e.g. If I have a static IP on my existing provider, could I potentially keep that along with current login credentials username/password - then preconfigure a router ahead of time for remote management, have it plugged into the modem when the Openreach Engineer does the install?

Or if not, get the new Static IP and creds ahead of the installation and preconfigure? I was going to do that before leaving the property and have the router ready to go. I'd be dependent on current ISP facilitating the above and the chosen router being remotely manageable etc (standard feature I assume?)

Another thought was to migrate to Sky Fibre, mainly for price / service bundling reasons, unlimited time of day usage etc. They post out Sky hub ahead of Openreach visit and you plug n play after modem install? (is it preconfigured?) However the IP address is not static on their service as I understand so it seems someone would have to get on there and alter the configuration, add a dynamic DNS service (if the Sky hub supports this config), set up remote management to allow me in (does SR 101 support or allow this?)

Hopefully the above gives a sense of what I'm trying to do; any advice or gotchas for this type of scenario very appreciated - thanks.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 22-Jan-13 00:23:30
Print Post

Re: Managing a Fibre install (can't be at location)

[re: okanee] [link to this post]

Some ISPs use TR-069 (not TR-101) to remote configure a router - Plusnet can provide this sort of setup with one of their routers. Others use standard credentials in all routers, and rely on data about the circuit to validate the account - I believe BT Infinity is configured this way.

Really, you can choose any ISP you like, so long as you're prepared either to change the router (in which case you pre-configure the new router) or have an existing router that you can reconfigure before you leave the location (in which case there will be an outage until FTTC is installed and working). Most ISPs offer an inexpensive router which will do as a stop-gap until you can configure your preferred router - it can then go in the drawer as a spare in case your preferred router fails.

I'd discuss the situation with your preferred ISP.

At install time, you won't get the chance to mess around testing a great deal. My experience was that the engineer wanted me to establish a PPPoE session and browse to a web site. Once he'd seen that, he was heading for the door. Unless a managed install is ordered (I believe BT Retail are the only ISP who order these), I believe the engineer is within his rights to leave once the DSL light is on solid on the BT Openreach modem.

Standard User fender1105
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 00:38:29
Print Post

Hi

Im guessing there will be someone there when they do the install because bt op need to install there modem no matter what isp you have.

If you use sky you would get there new sky hub but sky, bt, plus net talktalk all have there own router they send you and you connect it to the bt op modem using a cat5e cable so you could always plug it in after the install as bt op only plug the bt home hub in as far as i know

maybe someone else on here could tell you if there are any fibre routers on the market you could buy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User okanee
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 00:47:28
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks David_W for the quick help,

I have ADSL router / modem combo currently which is not fibre compatible - so I was thinking to preconfigure another one and leave it there ahead of install.

If I understand correctly, it seems Plusnet could facilitate exactly what I need here. I'm vaguely aware of TR-069 - would the blank modem effectively "call home" for configuration on first connect? Any idea how remote management would be turned over to me afterwards - and would the ISP retain access after that or its just for their initial provisioning?

Thanks again. Good advice to discuss directly with the ISP.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 22-Jan-13 00:56:41
Print Post

Plusnet have a FAQ on "Easy Setup", which is their implementation of TR-069. Essentially, the router defaults to TR-069 at hard reset. Once it's got the login credentials via TR-069, which can take a few minutes, you can log in to the router's interface and, if you wish, disable TR-069.

I don't use Plusnet myself - the FTTC connection here is on Zen and our router is a rack mounted server - but I have recommended them to others who can't justify the premium price of Zen and who have found their service to be good. There's an active Plusnet forum here - it sounds like their new Fibre Unlimited product may be worth a look. I believe Static IP is available for a one-off £5 charge if that is useful to you.

Standard User okanee
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 01:09:07
Print Post

[re: fender1105] [link to this post]

Thanks fender1105, yes there will be people there to allow the install etc but the extent of their help would be pretty much limited to plugging in a cable and even that might cause issues wink
Standard User okanee
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 01:15:20
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks! I'm definitely going to check PlusNet out, sounds ideal for my circumstances.

When you say, login in via the router's interface, I'm assuming PlusNet would allow me remote access to that (having say configured via TR-069 the remote management feature using static IP / port we agreed on up front)
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 22-Jan-13 01:20:04
Print Post

Hopefully a Plusnet user will come along to answer your questions about the detail of their TR-069 deployment - though I suggest you ask Plusnet directly for confirmation of how to achieve what you want.

If you're considering Plusnet, you need to think whether you wish to move your phone line to Plusnet for a discount. I believe Plusnet's fibre products have an 18 month minimum term, though as BT Openreach set a 12 month minimum term for the FTTC, you won't find any ISP offering less than a 12 month minimum term. Zen offer 12 months minimum term if you pay the install charge, or 24 months minimum term with free installation and router.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-13 10:02:11
Print Post

Plusnet is by and large a consumer operation that relies on repitition to keep prices low, so a custom TR-069 configuration is unlikely to happen unless you want to pay for test time and deployment time, i.e. a day or two pay + profit for a person. Harsh but most likely answer.

The real question is really what actually needs to configured, i.e. the standard configuration from the big providers gives the customer internet access without much fiddling at all. Why do you need to the ability to fiddle?

The provider supplied routers support port forwarding, and if it is just remote configuration of that, then get the people to install Teamviewer on a PC, and they ring you up once Internet access is working, and give you access codes you connect in and viola you are in control of a PC on their LAN and can configure the router. Other PC remote control options are available too, teamviewer is nice as you don't need to know the IP address of the machine so works nice on dynamic IP solutions and behind NAT

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 22-Jan-13 10:35:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by okanee:
e.g. If I have a static IP on my existing provider, could I potentially keep that along with current login credentials username/password - then preconfigure a router ahead of time for remote management, have it plugged into the modem when the Openreach Engineer does the install?
You cannot transfer static IP addresses between providers.

More importantly, does the target installation require a static IP address for normal running?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to