General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobush
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-13 11:37:26
Print Post

Broadband meter

[link to this post]

Hello all
Is there a plug in broadband meter I can connect to my router which is a BT3 hub. Not an application as We have several devices using the wireless broadband so need it connected to the Hub. I have looked at the router itself but it doesn't allow for monitoring. To cut a long story short I changed to BT infinity 4 months ago " big mistake" and since then I'm told I'm over my 40gb allowance even though I check the day before the end of my data cycle and I have only used 32 gb. BT has its own data usage site but this will only show my present month and doest give enough detail to argue the point. What then follows is an additional £10 charge from BT. I don't believe I'm using this much as we don't download movies etc. Bt could tell me I'm using 100gb and I can't say otherwise!
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Wed 23-Jan-13 13:36:49
Print Post

Re: Broadband meter

[re: bobush] [link to this post]

What white modem do you have, I have the white modem mentioned in this.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4089459-hua...

If that then can unlock and sure it gives good stuff like what amount of data has gone though it.

there is another type I have read on here but cant think, if you have that then say and refresh my mind!.

Can look when I get home to see what good stuff it gives. Like ADSL router, all the line speed stuff. Sure there is what you want in the LAN port put then not wireless so no good.
Just a thought, will look later.

My thought, might be no good and sure someone will say that knows what is going on the unlocked modem pages out there head or at a computer linked to one.

So the useage meter they let you go by on the my BT page is lies, keep under the 40Gb and still moan and say more, would not pay and do screen shots of the last day of a allowance period. They expect us to use that as their equipment like horrible locked modem and nice HH but does not do that so what do you go on for what has been used.

They add the up and download together, guess you are using the green thing that goes up when the page is bought up. do have separate down and up but they add to my working out. on about 11Gb last night as check every now and then, so me ok to the end of the month. 2Gb of that was a film download I could do on a blue ray I got for christmas so tried but really 2Gb gone on an exoeriment of a digital download on the blueray leaflet.

Wil write later unless someone prives me wrong (proberly am as can't check).
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Wed 23-Jan-13 21:27:17
Print Post

[re: bobush] [link to this post]

Hi

I find this, does the bytes thing add up what comes and goes, best I can find on the modem.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101665468320484615712/M...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 13:41:55
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

FWIW, an unlocked Huawei HG612 modem's stats can be accessed via a direct PC connection over ethernet cable to its LAN2 port, or wirelessly (via the router/hub) as long as one router/hub port is connected over ethernet to the modem's LAN2 port.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 13:48:53
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Hi

Nice to hear from you.

Thats what I do but it got no interest so guess not the answer he wanted.

Was just a thought and not the nicest way to do.

Good if a box of tricks could be plugged into the router and log the amount going through it.

Looks like the BT useage meter is rubbish if you stay at 32Gb and they say over 40 and change a tenner.

Wont be happy if it happens to me!.

I have the 40Gb allowance too.

Hoping someone came up with better answers but just me and you then.

When I got home the idea I had a work was not as good as I thought.

2 diiferent numbers in bytes. I did not get what it was saying, to clever for me.

Any ideas for him as me out of them
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Jan-13 13:55:40
Print Post

Could the usage be collected as part of the HG612 graphing process?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:13:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Could the usage be collected as part of the HG612 graphing process?

Not that I'm aware of, but if anyone knows where that data resides within the modem, I could try to incorporate it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:43:44
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

My advice is if you are pretty sure your usage is in the 30GB area, then consider the upgrade to unlimited, as your usage is likely to creep over the months.

One option is to feed all your ethernet and wireless data through a wireless router that does provide long term data counters. But that probably means spending money to get the router

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 17:51:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Andrew

I do about 10Gb a month, just what was first said, why do they say you are over when only at 30 something, BT counter usleless he was saying so started this conversation.

Wont be a problem for me.

Just do very boring internet stuff and the odd i player program every so many months.

surprised it even gets to 10 Gb,

We dont do much!.

Instead of spending more with BT, would look at plusnet fibre, 60Gb I thought somewhere if the 35 or so does not do, not a problem for years I guess if do the same sort of thing.

About time all routers counted what went though them.

Guess with no responces from the main usual guys ( you lot) then no plug in add on.

Money to be made there so not doable or would be by now.

I watch the BT meter for interest but never goes that high.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:20:39
Print Post

Tricky. On the web GUI, under Status there is xTM
xTM

This page displays the xTM statistics, such as Tx Bytes Count, Rx Bytes Count, Tx Packets Count, Rx Packets Count, and Cell Errors.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to